Boiler build

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric_S

Regular.
Reaction score
Having read through Big Yins "How-To" on building a low-cost boiler I have gone and got two ASDA value kettles, tank connectors etc to convert one of my brewing buckets into a boiler.

He mentions (as an alternative) to soldering the plug cable to the element connections to use a Hot Condition female connector as an easier (but slightly more expensive) route for the electrics.

My mind is that being able to remove the cable will ease moving the thing around without having cables trailing etc.

Having dissected one of the ASDA kettles I see that a standard PC power cable fits ok - is there any reason not to use these instead of the Hot Condition cable noting that the grade of the cable used in the value kettle for the plug bit is probably not of the highest grade anyway?

The pc cable is a no no - simply because it's not designed for the kind of power draw the element will create. It's likely to overheat.

Please don't use it!!

Is the issue the cable itself? If I can find some IEC connectors can I just use them on the existing cable from the base?

The cable from the base looks really cheap and thin also?

The plugs are moulded, and also only rated for the kind of current draw a pc creates. It's not up to the job, any of it. It's a false economy. Save a few quid, risk an enourmous amount. Not worth it in my opinion :thumb:

Actually BY i have used these but point to note is most of them are only rated at 10amps - mine however are rated at 16amps and are fine they are moulded plug and connection and both ends stamped at 16amp rating. Not sure what i got them off originally as i have 18 computers+ that i brought over here with me so you must be able to pick them up somewhere.
Maplins/comet etc??

screamlead said:
Actually BY i have used these but point to note is most of them are only rated at 10amps - mine however are rated at 16amps and are fine they are moulded plug and connection and both ends stamped at 16amp rating. Not sure what i got them off originally as i have 18 computers+ that i brought over here with me so you must be able to pick them up somewhere.
Maplins/comet etc??

Sounds like you have been useing Kettle leads on your Computers :rofl: :rofl:

DO NOT USE 10amp Leads I used a 10amp extention lead with my Burco Boiler IT FAILED :oops:

BigYin said:
The plugs are moulded, and also only rated for the kind of current draw a pc creates. It's not up to the job, any of it. It's a false economy. Save a few quid, risk an enourmous amount. Not worth it in my opinion :thumb:

yin the pc cables are just normal kettle cables .. nothing pc specific and are made using normal 240v cable .. well over the top for the run of the mill pc but its cheaper to make these with standard cable then a specific pc cable for the pc builders. they will be fine with a kettle element as long as the fuse is right

Latest posts

Back