Boiler build

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vindiv8

Reaction score
Ok here is what I am doing with my boiler. Based on a 30L PP Euro bucker, twin tesco's value elements and lot's of bits of copper.

For the strip down of the kettles I followed Bigyins how to :cheers: . A great guide, but I decided to make a few changes as I went on. Firstly I cut no cables, instead opting to join the switch cables using a brass spade for the scrap kettle base terminals. I widened all the mains spades and made them a tight fit on the element terminals. All the connections I then finished using heat shrink sheaving. I wanted a more finished look to the element covers so I used the front of two cartridge guns, I recommend Wilkinson's chaulk, it's 98p and has peel off labels. Because of my lack of access at the front of the cover I needed to drill a 4.5mm hole for the neon, I couldn't push it in otherwise, it was then however loose so I secured it with some epoxy putty.

2011-01-09_15-24-32_68.jpg

The switch terminals with the brass spade inserted from kettle base.

2011-01-09_15-26-17_114.jpg

Heat shrink in place, but not yet shrunk, I test boiled the boiler before scuring any connections.

2011-01-09_16-06-48_367.jpg>

During test boil.

2011-01-09_19-56-55_237.jpg

After heat shrink is shrunk.

2011-01-09_20-00-40_958.jpg

The finished shroud.

On the one element the boiler got 30 odd litres up to 92degC and was rising very slowly still, so should get to boil easily with two elements. Nothing leaked either :thumb:

Had problems with the boiler not siphoning again :( , but I think this is down to having to loosen the compression joints every time I move the boiler :pray:. Going to fit a flexitap connector and tighten everything up again. Got to do the wiring and the shroud for the other side next.

Will keep you posted....
:drink:

what size cable have you used there mate

1.5mm is the absolute minimum and really 2.5 would be a lot better with the length of time the boiler will be switched on

re-used the cable that came with the kettle. After bringing everything to the boil, I checked the temp of all the terminals and cables and everything felt fine.

3 core pvc cable

Load Watts kW 2.2

Voltage 230

Length of Cabling metres 1

Minimum Required Cable Size 1.5mm

Voltage Drop volts 2v

Percentage Drop 2 %.

Load = amps. 9.57

Caution - Please use for Guidance ONLY

i see from the pic the cable you have is .75 and only half what is needed

It's no biggie to change the flex, as I said everything is on crimp terminals. Thanks for the heads up.

Back