Bonfire night

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok - I've come to a conclusion. It seems the wood I buy is kiln dried silver birch, which seems to be soft wood. I won't be buying this again.

I am a great fan of the Ecoal50 stuff, which is made with a percentage of recycled olive stones and I use this regularly.

Thanks for the kick up the ar$e I needed to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

It's amazing what you can learn on here!
Isn't it just.
We have no central heating out here in the arctic wastes of Southern Brittany, but we have three wood burners, one in each of the main downstairs rooms (the heat flows up the stairs and warms the upper regions. We have our wood delivered and it's a mix of beech (one year old and naturally dried under shelter) and oak (two years old, one year out in the rain and one under shelter). This seems to be the norm out here in sticks apart from the peasants who'll burn any old shi'ite, but do tend to get it right. It's important to keep a stove running hot and not burn damp wood. There's nothing wrong with soft wood except that it burns very quickly and it'll also burn wet or damp. Birch is a great wood, but again, it will happily burn damp- kilned dried should be fine. We get a chimney sweep every two years (insurance says it should be every year) and last time he said there was very little to do - no tar and little soot because we'd used proper dry wood instead of trying to cut corners.
We're hot on eco, too. Very concerned, in fact.

I should add that it's important to have a proper chimney with a good updraft and a decent stove. If you're looking for a good one, I can recommend Jøtul. They have a vested interest in keeping warm in Norway.

Last edited:
I am a great fan of the Ecoal50 stuff, which is made with a percentage of recycled olive stones and I use this regularly.

I missed this Lisa i will have a look for that, we have an open coal fire at the moment and are struggling a bit getting the smokeless coal to burn its great when it gets going but is a bugger to start, we have been putting a kiln dried log on the kindling then putting the smokeless on top but it take s a while to get going, as you know the beauty of the stove is you can control the airflow so this isn't a problem.

I missed this Lisa i will have a look for that, we have an open coal fire at the moment and are struggling a bit getting the smokeless coal to burn its great when it gets going but is a bugger to start, we have been putting a kiln dried log on the kindling then putting the smokeless on top but it take s a while to get going, as you know the beauty of the stove is you can control the airflow so this isn't a problem.

This stuff is great - you can slumber it overnight and it’ll last about 9 hours, depending how much you put on.

Get down the woods and chop some logs...or up the slag heaps and pick some coal...spent plenty of time with my owd dad doing such stuff.

This stuff is great - you can slumber it overnight and it’ll last about 9 hours, depending how much you put on.

We have been using this from B&M Store.

1635449414245.png

Blaze Smokeless Fuel.

Blaze is a medium sized, pillow shaped smokeless coal for open fires and multi-fuel stoves. It is easy to light and gives a low radiant flame with minimum waste and clinker.

Features:

• High heat
  • Active lively flame
  • Clean burn
  • Low ash
  • For use in smoke controlled areas
  • For open fires, room heaters and cookers

1635449375989.png

Is the slag heap still there between Wrexham and Johnstown it used to smoke back in the early 60's and there was a slag heap I could see from my nana's house in Cefn Mawr.

We have been using this from B&M Store.

View attachment 56508

Blaze Smokeless Fuel.

Blaze is a medium sized, pillow shaped smokeless coal for open fires and multi-fuel stoves. It is easy to light and gives a low radiant flame with minimum waste and clinker.

Features:

• High heat
  • Active lively flame
  • Clean burn
  • Low ash
  • For use in smoke controlled areas
  • For open fires, room heaters and cookers

View attachment 56507

I have also tried that and in my opinion, I haven’t found anything as good as the Ecoal50. The price speaks for itself though. I know the dearest isn’t always the best but you have to take into consideration the efficiency and if it outweighs the price difference. Your call.

It’s always a consideration about how they store it as well. We recently got some from a local garage and it was wet through from rain. Useless. Never buy online, always examine what you’re buying and how they’ve stored it.

I have also tried that and in my opinion, I haven’t found anything as good as the Ecoal50. The price speaks for itself though. I know the dearest isn’t always the best but you have to take into consideration the efficiency and if it outweighs the price difference. Your call.

I will see if i can find anywhere selling Ecoal50 round here. thumb.

To think that a couple of generations ago we fought two wars of survival and now we are pi$$ing out selves over bloody bonfires.

Ahahaha. Really? Why the need to bring mention wars? It's a pefectly valid question. Yes, it may well be a small amount of carbon released in whih case, debate the point, find some evidence to prove the case. Come on, I dare you.

If you don't like it, why comment in the first place, then flounce off? Be a man and don't ignore the thread.

And @DavieC should definitely not feel like they should have to apologise.

Last edited:
I think bonfires are more efficient. The local ones will have about 100 families stood around. Those families won't have their house fires going so one fire will heat 100 families. Surely one fire is better than 100?

Back