Boris Johnson Warns Of Need To 'Endure' High Energy Bills To Defeat 'Evils Of Putin'

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While it's still open. There's prediction's of 8 quid a pint.
Invite your mates round for 5 quid a pint and put the proceeds towards the lecky bill.
4 stout lads drinking 4 pints each- £80 a day, £29000 a year. That should cover the heating and the brewing costs. Wife and kids on full time brewing duty at minimum wage minus heating and eating deductions. Yep, I'm beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel here. Get plenty of malt in before it goes up.
:laugh8:

And some of you think I'm kidding!

Here is a thought, what if con's, lab, lib's, all started to sing on the same page and left the point scoring until this mess is sorted, i know it will not happen but it would be nice and i am sick of hearing it's brexit it is a world wide problem, this is the amount of renewable the uk has In 2020 renewables accounted for more than 43.1% of the UK's total electricity generated, at 312 terawatt hours (TWh). This outstripped fossil fuels over the course of a year, for the first time in the nation's history. so why are they charging so much, and this will have increased since 2020 it just does not add up
I believe prices are all related to gas prices with how they work out what the wholesalers can charge. It’s completely out of date and needs to change but until it’s changed then we will encounter this problem. The Octopus Energy CEO did a tweet on this and called for change. It just doesn’t add up.

I believe prices are all related to gas prices with how they work out what the wholesalers can charge. It’s completely out of date and needs to change but until it’s changed then we will encounter this problem. The Octopus Energy CEO did a tweet on this and called for change. It just doesn’t add up.

Yeah they are pegged to gas, and furthermore, I read this morning that the wholesale price of electricity is set at the cost to the most expensive producer at any one time ie if a gas powered plant in one part of the country is spending 25p to produce a kW, and another one is spending 27p, then 27p it is for everyone.

Obviously it stands to reason then that the electricity prices are being gamed to ensure every producer operates at profit, or at very worst break even. Meanwhile, various renewables are busy pumping in sometimes as much as 100% of what we need, but you still pay what it costs the least efficient fuel burner.

Top it up OFGEM said the government must act quickly to help people.How about not putting the cap up OFGEM.

Top it up OFGEM said the government must act quickly to help people.How about not putting the cap up OFGEM.
Indont believe OFGEM have the power to "not put it up". I think ofgem are simply the ones responsible for calculating what the cap is, based on a pre determined formula

But OFGEM *are* the government, with another hat on, really. Governments can and are shielding the public fron the brunt of these rises.

I just think, instead of all these 'producers', who can't be allowed to go bust (at great expense), there wasn't much wrong with the old system where everyone got the gas from the Gas Board, and the lecky similar. But oh no, the customer (punter, more like) would be so much better with 'competition'., we were assured.

Yeah, right. Thanks.

Indont believe OFGEM have the power to "not put it up". I think ofgem are simply the ones responsible for calculating what the cap is, based on a pre determined formula
Funny how the energy companies always increase it by the max. I contacted them they said the energy companies are only making a 1.9% profit. I'm with shell and they say they make a loss every year.

Funny how the energy companies always increase it by the max. I contacted them they said the energy companies are only making a 1.9% profit. I'm with shell and they say they make a loss every year.
Oh aye, that's a seperate issue and one bourne out of a lack of competition, you can then be a bit cynical about the reasons for that. Ultimately, no one EVER paid the cap up until this year. Now we all do.

Shell, like all the other suppliers who produce, are absolutely at it. You only pay tax on your profits. Of course Shell are going to pay Shell top whack for gas produced by Shell..... Absolute chancers. I say about Shell the same as I say about all the other businesses that laughably plead poverty whilst smashing out dividends like chicken feed.... Give me a shot of your financial problems for half an hour...

Oh aye, that's a seperate issue and one bourne out of a lack of competition, you can then be a bit cynical about the reasons for that. Ultimately, no one EVER paid the cap up until this year. Now we all do.

Shell, like all the other suppliers who produce, are absolutely at it. You only pay tax on your profits. Of course Shell are going to pay Shell top whack for gas produced by Shell..... Absolute chancers. I say about Shell the same as I say about all the other businesses that laughably plead poverty whilst smashing out dividends like chicken feed.... Give me a shot of your financial problems for half an hour...
Yeah losses can be made on paper if things are manipulated to show a loss. I think this is happening now. Complete lack of competition now they pushed the smaller suppliers out down to the big 6 now may as well be just 1 and put it back into public ownership at least that way if properly run profits should go back into the economy and not some fat cats pocket

Does anyone get a sense that the press are "talking up" the crisis? Their fascination with doom and gloom- which is really the only thing that sells papers- is preparing our expectations for the future and really making it a hell of a lot easier for the energy companies to get away with ripping us off to their hearts' content.

Does anyone get a sense that the press are "talking up" the crisis? Their fascination with doom and gloom- which is really the only thing that sells papers- is preparing our expectations for the future and really making it a hell of a lot easier for the energy companies to get away with ripping us off to their hearts' content.
95% of the populace are gullible, why wouldn't the media talk it up? Energy companies have an obligation to get a return for those investing in them. No return no investments. The little man is always going to pay, always has and always will.

I leave the press alone, their doom & gloom is bad for mental health. I do find the Government to be swayed or shamed into action by some of their headlines. The press can kick them everyday. We only get the chance every 5 years.

I'd perhaps reduce the standing charge and remove the vat on energy to start with. As a retired person with a private pension I'd not benefit from NI reduction, I suspect LIZ Truss wants all us privately retired 'Shirkers' back to work to solve the staffing shortages.

I leave the press alone, their doom & gloom is bad for mental health. I do find the Government to be swayed or shamed into action by some of their headlines. The press can kick them everyday. We only get the chance every 5 years.

I'd perhaps reduce the standing charge and remove the vat on energy to start with. As a retired person with a private pension I'd not benefit from NI reduction, I suspect LIZ Truss wants all us privately retired 'Shirkers' back to work to solve the staffing shortages.

Sadly, wont be any jobs going, businesses will be going under at a rate of knots if nothing is done and the country will crumble.

I haven't heard anyone blame this on Brexit, and I think I'd be among the first, but there is the usual pile of incompetence going on.
I was digging "energy caps" yesterday, to try to understand what it really means, and discovered that the much quoted £3500 in October is a guesstimate of how much an average household will spend if the maximum allowable price per KWh is applied. This maximum price is supposed to be factored on the wholesale price the energy suppliers have to pay for gas and electricity.
What I didn't understand is why the October price cap in Britain will be about £3500, but in NI it's only £2500! Are Belfast houses better built and insulated? Is the fragrant Arlene on the board of Offgem? Should we a emigrate to NI for the winter?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-62688553?at_medium=RSSThere's some interesting analysis towards the end of the article if you can get past poor old Anne, who has to take more showers, without losing the will to live.

Answers please on the back of a postcard.
No such thing as a price cap in NI and there is also only 1 supplier firmus that can and does charge what it wants. All social housing built in the past 10 years were fitted with gas boilers (has being fairly new in NI) and most people in social housing won’t be able to afford to top up their gas over the winter as they are on the bread line and firmus can up the price whenever they want and by whatever they want. Also they can charge different rates in different areas. It’s nearly unregulated.

That's easy for him to say when he's getting us to pay for it.
It's quite possible to be realistic about the crisis without being doom and gloom about it.

The thing is, the alternative to the crisis would require a radical change in our economy. More radical than the owners of the press and other businesses are interested in entertaining, and since the current economic model necessitates crisis, the only option open to them is pessimism and, ultimately, mysticism... by which I mean they would rather we forget the issues of the world with fantasy than get on with fixing it to make a better future because the only realistic option is not one they can profit from.

Since Covid the news has a refreshed outlook of scare and make people dependent on more news.

When you get a government that does not give a siht about you then you have to take what they give you as you voted them in. Accept the handouts to help the burden of the rising gas and electric prices and thank them for the support while they make more money from the high taxation on fuel and energy.

Latest posts

Back