Boris Johnson Warns Of Need To 'Endure' High Energy Bills To Defeat 'Evils Of Putin'

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
War time spirit and all that but it’s not 1940 and we’re not at war.
Really?
Wartime spirit is a myth perpetrated on Eastenders as far as I'm concerned. Reality: if there's a real paucity of affordable energy then we would be better served by a single fire warming many and a single pot feeding a crowd.
But if it's just summertime journalese then, yes, once the kids are all back to school we can all carry on as normal.

Here’s a thought!

I can manage with no gas, but with no electricity I would need to make major modifications to household appliances in order to cope.

Gas at the present time costs me just under £100 a year in Standing Charges.

I wonder if I can get the gas supply cut off?

Here’s a thought!

I can manage with no gas, but with no electricity I would need to make major modifications to household appliances in order to cope.

Steady on @Dutto , most of us haven't got the option of converting the Aga to burn peat! :laugh8:

Here is a thought, what if con's, lab, lib's, all started to sing on the same page and left the point scoring until this mess is sorted, i know it will not happen but it would be nice and i am sick of hearing it's brexit it is a world wide problem, this is the amount of renewable the uk has In 2020 renewables accounted for more than 43.1% of the UK's total electricity generated, at 312 terawatt hours (TWh). This outstripped fossil fuels over the course of a year, for the first time in the nation's history. so why are they charging so much, and this will have increased since 2020 it just does not add up

Here a the latest figures
How much of the UK's energy is renewable 2022?

In Quarter 1 2022, renewable share of total generation was 45.5 per cent. This is the second highest quarterly share on record and the highest since Quarter 1 2020.30 Jun 2022, somebody is telling fibs

I mentioned this in another threads a guy on 5 live phone in and said although he knew his suggestion wouldn't be popular one way they could fix this short term would be to stop all foreign aid for two years, this would help this winter.

My dad spent a large amount of his career in DFID and I worked for them briefly, foreign aid is sooooo much more important that people realise, cutting its funding is just the sort of short termism that we are gnashing our teeth about how successive governments haven't safeguarded our energy supplies by investing in more nuclear/wind/solar etc.

My dad spent a large amount of his career in DFID and I worked for them briefly, foreign aid is sooooo much more important that people realise, cutting its funding is just the sort of short termism that we are gnashing our teeth about how successive governments haven't safeguarded our energy supplies by investing in more nuclear/wind/solar etc.

Rereading that back...... i've had a few too many.

Here’s a list of things that reduce energy:
  1. Turn the heating down to 18*C in the ONE room that is used.
  2. Turn all other heating OFF.
  3. Put on warmer clothing if you are cold. (This includes thermal underwear.)
  4. Have ONE shower (or bath) per person per week. (It’s amazing how quick you can bathe in a cold bathroom!)
  5. Use the washing machine ONCE a week per TWO persons.
  6. REMOVE all bulbs that are not required. (e.g. the ones in chandeliers) and ensure that the rest are low wattage LED types.
  7. Switch OFF all electrical equipment that is not in use. (It may take a few seconds to warm something up for use. So what?)
  8. Batch cook to keep energy use to a minimum; AND to ensure that any freezer or refrigerator stay’s filled.
  9. NEVER use a Microwave Oven to de-frost food from the freezer. (Even at ambient temperatures in the kitchen the food will get much warmer.)
  10. INSULATE YOUR HOME, especially from draughts. (This includes windows and doors.)
  11. Ensure that ALL outside lighting is solar powered.
  12. Switch OFF all non-food refrigerators and learn the real taste of ales and beers. (Below ambient temperatures can easily be achieved by storing the drinks on unheated floors!)
I’m sure there are many other “Tips” to reduce energy usage.

I hope they will help members of the Forum - especially Number 12!
athumb..
And when you done all those? Not a critism.

Here is a thought, what if con's, lab, lib's, all started to sing on the same page and left the point scoring until this mess is sorted, i know it will not happen but it would be nice and i am sick of hearing it's brexit it is a world wide problem, this is the amount of renewable the uk has In 2020 renewables accounted for more than 43.1% of the UK's total electricity generated, at 312 terawatt hours (TWh). This outstripped fossil fuels over the course of a year, for the first time in the nation's history. so why are they charging so much, and this will have increased since 2020 it just does not add up
I haven't heard anyone blame this on Brexit, and I think I'd be among the first, but there is the usual pile of incompetence going on.
I was digging "energy caps" yesterday, to try to understand what it really means, and discovered that the much quoted £3500 in October is a guesstimate of how much an average household will spend if the maximum allowable price per KWh is applied. This maximum price is supposed to be factored on the wholesale price the energy suppliers have to pay for gas and electricity.
What I didn't understand is why the October price cap in Britain will be about £3500, but in NI it's only £2500! Are Belfast houses better built and insulated? Is the fragrant Arlene on the board of Offgem? Should we a emigrate to NI for the winter?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-62688553?at_medium=RSSThere's some interesting analysis towards the end of the article if you can get past poor old Anne, who has to take more showers, without losing the will to live.

Answers please on the back of a postcard.

Last edited:
Are we being ripped off?
While the price caps reflect the wholesale cost of energy, energy only accounts for about a third of the price we pay, the rest being operating costs, distribution, VAT etc, etc. This means that if the wholesale price of energy doubles then our bills should not double as all the other components (apart from VAT) don't change. So with the current cap set at around £2000, a doubling in wholesale price should add only £700 to the bill. Does anyone know by how much wholesale energy has risen? I haven't been able to find it.
Moreover, reading one of the Ofgem articles, I understand that energy retailers often buy their energy in advance, even by as much as 2 or 3 years in advance so why is the market (apparently) so sensitive? I can understand that those who've made forward deals with Russia and then reneged might have problems, but the UK isn't very exposed to Russia.
Either way, we're being rippped off and a lot of our hard-earned dosh is being trousered, but it would be nice to know how and how much. (Actually, my electricity increases are capped at 4% per year, but I can't see that lasting).

Here’s a thought!

Yes. Ask. If they say no,then don't pay.they will soon cut you off

Here a the latest figures
How much of the UK's energy is renewable 2022?

In Quarter 1 2022, renewable share of total generation was 45.5 per cent. This is the second highest quarterly share on record and the highest since Quarter 1 2020.30 Jun 2022, somebody is telling fibs
I questioned this before. For a few years my electric supplier as said that my supply came 100% from a renewable source. Unfortunately that renewable source is not owned by thr company and comes from France and therefore it cones at a premium. For which is raising just like the cost of normal power.

Agree with whoever said that "blitz spirit" is a myth. The British Public taken as an entity is a relentlessly selfish being

As for the price of renewable, as I understand it the price of electricity is tethered to the price of gas, regardless of the means of generation. So on a windy day, it might be that no gas is used to generate, but still that electricity will attract top dollar prices because of this tethering.

Surely something the govt have to look at.

Whenever there was a riot or revolt in the uk it usually rains and they all go home. France has better weather than us so more opportunity. Do you ever see rioting in the wet? 🤔 I suppose if the uk does get hotter and dryer in the future it might be more likely.
The February Revolution in Russia saw the masses walk across a frozen river to protest.

If the conditions are bad enough, the weather stops being a barrier.

Latest posts

Back