Boris Johnson Warns Of Need To 'Endure' High Energy Bills To Defeat 'Evils Of Putin'

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh dear! Yet another “Tory believer of all things printed by the right-wing press!”

I couldn’t find anything “recent” when I Googled “recent Corbyn comments”, but I did find this about a Tory Councillor on Sky News:

The councillor tweeted a photoshopped picture of Jeremy Corbyn with a poppy wreath looking over the burning taxi that was blown up by a suicide bomber on Remembrance Sunday.

Apparently he had to pay Mr Corbyn “substantial damages”!

https://news.sky.com/story/tory-cou...-at-scene-of-liverpool-terror-attack-12476493
Enjoy!
athumb..

I am not a tory fan, never voted them in my life

I watched his interview fresh from his twitter

I am sorry if my disliking his views on how we shoudl handle a genocidal maniac offends you. But I am entitled to having that opinion without you labelling me a right wing tory..

Jesus. grow up!!

Oh dear! Yet another “Tory believer of all things printed by the right-wing press!”

I couldn’t find anything “recent” when I Googled “recent Corbyn comments”, but I did find this about a Tory Councillor on Sky News:

The councillor tweeted a photoshopped picture of Jeremy Corbyn with a poppy wreath looking over the burning taxi that was blown up by a suicide bomber on Remembrance Sunday.

https://news.sky.com/story/tory-cou...-at-scene-of-liverpool-terror-attack-12476493
Enjoy!
athumb..
Do they have that little on Starmer just call him boring they still resort to attacks on Corbyn hoping to scare people away from labour. Wow they are getting desperate.

Enjoy!
athumb..
Shouldn't matter what side of politics one embraces, a bit like supporting a soccer team. At the end of the day the best team wins. And the best team has been winning, with the team Corbyn had behind him they were certainly good at kicking own goals.
I think if I was a UK citizen I would be voting for Starmer, I would back anyone whose main priority in their manifesto is getting the economy back on track. It will be a rough, hard ride but the economy is the most important base to build from.

Its not just the economy, its quality of life, and for most that is going down the pan. I accept its difficult to improve one without the dosh, but for most both have been heading in the wrong direction. However for the privileged few ......

Its not just the economy, its quality of life, and for most that is going down the pan. I accept its difficult to improve one without the dosh, but for most both have been heading in the wrong direction. However for the privileged few ......
You can't have quality of life without a thriving economy. If the economy is rooted then so is quality of life! They weren't heading in the wrong direction, the two major events are Covid. Every economy world wide suffered through the pandemic it was an unforeseen blot on the landscape which no one country could manage. Coming out of it the UK economy was on the rise then the Russia Ukraine conflict happened. No party is to blame, the UN has made their decisions about the purchasing of Russian oil/gas whether right or wrong the nations have to adhere to those decisions.
On the outside looking in it beggars belief that a nation would put itself in the hands of another nation for its energy!

So what is the government to do -

Do they keep giving us an allowance to cover the extra we are all going to have to pay?

Do they hit the energy companies with windfall tax until this is all over?

Could i ask for serious suggestions everyone knows certain members views on the government so posts like "Get rid of Conservatives" will be removed!

The world is a complicated mess and sometimes big disruption happens, very rare does any generation escape a nasty surprise. I had planned my retirement and even covid didn't knock it off track. I am able to withstand inflation of 5% but may have to take up a job for a year or two to counteract what hopefully is just a spike. Still, If many countries hadn't stopped nuclear power, Germany in particular, Mr Putin's impact on gas/energy prices would have been less.

Last edited by a moderator:
How much of the energy we use do we really need to use? Do we need to heat our houses to the mid 20s in the depths of winter? I didn't have central heating until I bought my first house; we had one coal fire which was kept alight all day, but not at night. We wore jumpers as a matter of course and put extra blankets on the bed at night. Bedroom interior must have been close to zero in mid winter as ice formed on the single-glazed windows. I don't remember actually "suffering" under these conditions and most houses are better insulated and have double glazing now so why don't we just toughen up a bit. (No I'm not suggesting we go back to coal. I'm saying one warm room in the house was good enough.)

Last edited:
Just read this morning, that among Labour's 2019 manifesto was a section about energy security, and gas storage. Specifically that we were sleepwalking into an energy crisis. Prophetic stuff.

Oh I'm so going to regret wading in here 😬

The problems are multiple and there is no 'right' answer, only least worst options. That's hard to deal with but whatever is done things will get worse before they can get better. We live in a globalised society, we are all mutually dependent whether it is energy, services or physical trade. Brexit was sold on a principle, but whatever way you voted there is no doubt now that it has damaged trade and increased the UK's need to have better self reliance for goods energy and services.

We need energy, it's what our modern society is built on, but we've effectively been building up a sustainability debt by reliance on fossil fuels and imports. We have only two options, increase energy production or reduce consumption, and realistically this is a both not an either or scenario. UK homes are poorly insulated and energy inefficient which previous governments have tried half heartedly to address. A wide reaching strategy is needed to improve building standards, relax planning rules on fitting double, triple and vacuum glazing on older buildings, and minimise taxation at both the business and consumer ends of energy efficiency products. Similar strategic changes to energy production, including relaxing regulation on on-shore wind generation (sorry but those people who object to their appearance are going to need to get over it), tidal and solar farms. Nuclear will also need to increase but the lead in time for these is soooo long that it will not address the cost anytime soon.

I don't support nationalisation of service, it is a recipe for inefficiency and lack of investment based on our own history of nationalised services, and of similar across the world. I do support government having significant shares in the companies which gives them a seat on their boards and a return on investment, I know that's legally complex but it could be made to work.

None of this helps this winter - well rapid approval of some generation projects already in process would help a little, but only a teeny bit. French like price regulation is probably the only short term option, but maybe not at the level they are at to avoid the companies selling energy at a loss. None of this is rocket science, but much of it is politically poorly palatable since complex messages that start with 'this is going to hurt' don't tend to win elections.

None of this helps this winter

I mentioned this in another threads a guy on 5 live phone in and said although he knew his suggestion wouldn't be popular one way they could fix this short term would be to stop all foreign aid for two years, this would help this winter.

I mentioned this in another threads a guy on 5 live phone in and said although he knew his suggestion wouldn't be popular one way they could fix this short term would be to stop all foreign aid for two years, this would help this winter.
Excerpt that means a lot of people suffering a lot more than the impact on our own country. £1 pays for a lot more in aid than it does in support to the UK, and doesn't factor in the cost in lost trade relations and international influence. International aid is not giving away money, it is purchasing influence and international security. The cost of stopping such aid for 2 years would last longer than the 2 years and is ethically dubious.

As I said - this is going to hurt whatever we do, it really doesn't help that leaving the EU continues to cost an awful lot of money. Whatever your politics, the cost of Brexit is eye watering - about £32 Billion a year according to the governments own accounting. Agreeing a free trade agreement would improve the economy for businesses now and for the winter.

Excerpt that means a lot of people suffering a lot more than the impact on our own country. £1 pays for a lot more in aid than it does in support to the UK

In that case lets half it -

Top 10 countries receiving UK aid money in 2020 (£m)

Ethiopia

Nigeria

Somalia

Afghanistan

Yemen

Bangladesh

Pakistan

Syria

South Sudan

@DocAnna post #31
An admirable analysis although I don't agree that because nationalisation has been inneficient it is necessarily inefficient; bodies protected from party politics and compulsory secondment of a range of experts from industry to do a spell of consultancy now and then could very well turn the tables. I reckon it can be made to work.

@Clarence post #29
That's not going to be popular but you're spot on. This is either an emergency or it isn't. If it isn't then let's hope the chattering press finds something better to chatter about, if it is, let's start informing people how best to deal with a heat or eat situation.

Excerpt that means a lot of people suffering a lot more than the impact on our own country. £1 pays for a lot more in aid than it does in support to the UK, and doesn't factor in the cost in lost trade relations and international influence. International aid is not giving away money, it is purchasing influence and international security. The cost of stopping such aid for 2 years would last longer than the 2 years and is ethically dubious.

As I said - this is going to hurt whatever we do, it really doesn't help that leaving the EU continues to cost an awful lot of money. Whatever your politics, the cost of Brexit is eye watering - about £32 Billion a year according to the governments own accounting. Agreeing a free trade agreement would improve the economy for businesses now and for the winter.
Para 1:
In that case, let's double it.

Para 2:
Spot on.

I am not a tory fan, never voted them in my life

I watched his interview fresh from his twitter

I am sorry if my disliking his views on how we shoudl handle a genocidal maniac offends you. But I am entitled to having that opinion without you labelling me a right wing tory..

Jesus. grow up!!
Its the usual reply Covrich anybody that does not agree with Labour thoughts seem to get labelled.
I thought a discussion was 2 peoples putting their thoughts across but that's why very few contribute on this forum political threads because they are labelled as non-believers by the Labour supporters because they are always right.
Just my thoughts and thats why I never contribute to political discussions on here.
And before I get labelled I was a Yorkshire miner that went 12 months on strike and did not for the want of the Left Wing word "SCAB"

Here’s a list of things that reduce energy:
  1. Turn the heating down to 18*C in the ONE room that is used.
  2. Turn all other heating OFF.
  3. Put on warmer clothing if you are cold. (This includes thermal underwear.)
  4. Have ONE shower (or bath) per person per week. (It’s amazing how quick you can bathe in a cold bathroom!)
  5. Use the washing machine ONCE a week per TWO persons.
  6. REMOVE all bulbs that are not required. (e.g. the ones in chandeliers) and ensure that the rest are low wattage LED types.
  7. Switch OFF all electrical equipment that is not in use. (It may take a few seconds to warm something up for use. So what?)
  8. Batch cook to keep energy use to a minimum; AND to ensure that any freezer or refrigerator stay’s filled.
  9. NEVER use a Microwave Oven to de-frost food from the freezer. (Even at ambient temperatures in the kitchen the food will get much warmer.)
  10. INSULATE YOUR HOME, especially from draughts. (This includes windows and doors.)
  11. Ensure that ALL outside lighting is solar powered.
  12. Switch OFF all non-food refrigerators and learn the real taste of ales and beers. (Below ambient temperatures can easily be achieved by storing the drinks on unheated floors!)
I’m sure there are many other “Tips” to reduce energy usage.

I hope they will help members of the Forum - especially Number 12!
athumb..

Here’s a list of things that reduce energy:
  1. Turn the heating down to 18*C in the ONE room that is used.
  2. Turn all other heating OFF.
  3. Put on warmer clothing if you are cold. (This includes thermal underwear.)
  4. Have ONE shower (or bath) per person per week. (It’s amazing how quick you can bathe in a cold bathroom!)
  5. Use the washing machine ONCE a week per TWO persons.
  6. REMOVE all bulbs that are not required. (e.g. the ones in chandeliers) and ensure that the rest are low wattage LED types.
  7. Switch OFF all electrical equipment that is not in use. (It may take a few seconds to warm something up for use. So what?)
  8. Batch cook to keep energy use to a minimum; AND to ensure that any freezer or refrigerator stay’s filled.
  9. NEVER use a Microwave Oven to de-frost food from the freezer. (Even at ambient temperatures in the kitchen the food will get much warmer.)
  10. INSULATE YOUR HOME, especially from draughts. (This includes windows and doors.)
  11. Ensure that ALL outside lighting is solar powered.
  12. Switch OFF all non-food refrigerators and learn the real taste of ales and beers. (Below ambient temperatures can easily be achieved by storing the drinks on unheated floors!)
I’m sure there are many other “Tips” to reduce energy usage.

I hope they will help members of the Forum - especially Number 12!
athumb..
All very sound and I wonder how many people on a tighter budget are already doing these things.
When it domes to Heat or Eat decisions over the winter, I think people ought to consider sharing warmth by coming together in larger groups: families, neighbours, and with particular lookout for ageing singletons who, all to often, are overlooked. Same thing with the cooking, why cant a couple or three families get together and cook and share a common meal and do this on a rota.
It's not what we're used to, but if it's a case of survival when times are hard!!

Latest posts

Back