Bottle bombs, myth or not .... RESULTS ARE IN

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bicycleshorts said:
Devonhomebrew said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t287aLW6wpU.
:rofl:

Tempted to do that with one bottle and play russian roulette with mates.

Sounds like fun doo egg russain roulette and boil 5 eggs and leave 1 raw lol good fun

zgoda said:
One bottle exploded in my basement last summer, I'm still finding glass here and there. Didn't found the cap yet.

I found the cap to mine - it was still firmly attached to where it should have been :thumb: Just the rest of the bottle was no longer attached to the neck

Righty, bottling day today :thumb:

Just going to do 2 bottles, 1 with heaped spoonful = 8g and the second with 2 = 16g which is way above my normal batch prime level and see what happens :ugeek:

The first one I suppose anyone could 'accidentally' do if you're putting sugar in each bottle, the second :? shouldn't really get it that wrong :nono:
Mind you thats another reason for batch priming I suppose you only put the sugar in one container once :!: mind you I nearly forgot to do that on one occasion :wha: :shock: :lol:

edited bit ... speelings :rofl:

Its no myth at all chaps i've had 6 bottles explode inthe last couple of weeks.
All the caps were securely in their place too it was the actual bottles that gave way - 500ml effes bottles. Some just cracked the bottom off but some actually really exploded with shards of glass all over. Thankfully in a room on their own too. only 1 t spoon of sugar per bottle as well, but i have it down to the heat here in turkey we had a wierd spell this last month way hotter than normal. Indside temps were upto 28c which is where the bottles were, they have been conditioning for at least a month and a test on them 2 weeks before resulted in no fizz. So its deffo this weather affecting them - now all in the brew fridge and non burst since.
So with UK temps as they are i think you lot are pretty safe. :cheers:

definately not a myth,exploding bottles can be leathal!

i know of a micro that let one of its work experience bods batch prime its kilderkins when it was bottling day, (this was a few years ago) when one went it started a cascade effect in its conditioning room and ovr 200 bottles eventually went pop, theres still glass embedded in the insulated walls to this day!

casks are easier to go.... got told of a unfortunate happening when higsons got moved to sheffield and an entire 200bbl batch of mild was overprimed with a more fermentable corn syrup than normal all 800 casks blew the keystones in the wharehouse one weekend!

Well it's done :?

and just to give 'em a real start ... they're in the greenhouse for a few days under the bench in a big plastic trug with a sack over the top :ugeek: I'll stick 'em in the garage next week :idea: then leave 'em for a week or two :?

Not just an over primed bottle but placed in a green house!
WMD! :lol:

kebabman said:
Not just an over primed bottle but placed in a green house!
WMD! :lol:

Left 'em in there first to get some warmth :!:

I'm not going to lose any (greenhouse) glass they're in a big rubber trug with a sack over the top and under the bench :lol:

Careful bud, I'm sure America went to war with Saddam based on less evidence of WMDs ;)

Just to keep updated, the bottles are now mover into the cooler environs of 'The Den Brewery' :whistle: I'd forgot they were hidden away in the greenhouse under the bench :oops: we've had a couple of sunny days so they'd have got nice and warm ..... next decision is when to open one :?: might try one next weekend :lol:

ScottM said:
Careful bud, I'm sure America went to war with Saddam based on less evidence of WMDs ;)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:thumb:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well they were bottled on 27th June, left in rather hot greenhouse for a week or so, (I forgot about them) then been in cooler storage since.

Going to finish mowing the lawns in a minute and think I might risk a beer ............. :?

Well, 2 weeks today we're on holiday so have some recovery time if they do go bang :!:

Dont worry safety goggles and gauntlets are to hand .... wish me luck I'm going in :pray:

Back