Bottle carb vs forced co2

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itry

Regular.
Reaction score
Got a question. Just wanted to find out if any ones done it before.

I 100% beleive that a stout thats bottle carbonated tastes better than a co2 carbed one.
With bottle finishing you do get the "scum" at the bottom. Is it possible to bottle carbonate a batch in a diffrent vessel. Once completed decant to cans/bottles.
Same effect but no dregs at the end.

Any in put?

You can and people do this by kegging and then using a counter pressure bottle filler. Normally the keg would be force carbonated but you could prime the keg and then bottle from there. I think this would usually only be for a couple of bottles as needed as can't see the point in doing this on scale.

What's the issue with a bit of yeast in the bottle? Especially in a stout where you won't notice it, even if you pour it badly and it gets in the glass.

I only bottle condition beers, but can't say you will notice a massive difference if you force carb (depending on the beer). Bottle conditioning certainly has some positives depending on the beer type (if you're aging a strong beer for example).

I think any flavour difference probably comes from the secondary fermentation products rather than the use of CO2 as such.
As @Ben034 says, you could prime a keg and then bottle once it's conditioned using a counter-pressure filler; or indeed serve it straight from the keg.
Remember that if using a keg like a Corny that draws off from the bottom then the first pint out will be cloudy because fo the sediment from the secondary fermentation.
You don't have to pay a lot for get a counter-pressure filler, this sort is fine and can be found cheap on any of the online marketplaces. I'm not sure I'd fancy bottling a whole batch with one though...

I would focus more on eliminating as much trub as possible before bottling. I don't know your set-up but drawing beer off the top, when bottling will help a bit. Going down the keg and counter pressure route will just be giving yourself a lot more work.

Back