Bottle safety help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkBowie

Regular.
Reaction score
I amassed a good collection of bottles with every intention of using them regularly. However, I haven’t since used them and they have been outside since the summer of 2018. They inbetween an unheated garage wall and a shed with a garden fence at the back. Will the elements have made them unsafe for the job now?

I amassed a good collection of bottles with every intention of using them regularly. However, I haven’t since used them and they have been outside since the summer of 2018. They inbetween an unheated garage wall and a shed with a garden fence at the back. Will the elements have made them unsafe for the job now?

The glass should be fine, it’s just what’s lurking inside them 😬 if they clean up alright should be fine

Thanks guys. If they’re still viable for use I will give them a thorough clean 👍

I've recently cleaned a cruddy load of bottles... they needed a good bleach type cleaner to shift the ****,a thrashing with a bottle brush,some I put through the dishwasher. I done them in batches of around 12 as it's a tedious job.

I've recently cleaned a cruddy load of bottles... they needed a good bleach type cleaner to shift the ****,a thrashing with a bottle brush,some I put through the dishwasher. I done them in batches of around 12 as it's a tedious job.
Thanks, I think these are going to probably need all the above...... which bleach cleaner did you use?

I’ve got half a dozen soaking at the minute. The father in law failed to rinse them out before returning them 🙈 bloody grafted with yeasty mouldy gunk. Bleach is the only chance of shifting it 😂 using Antiformin S, which is unpurfumed bleach

I use “magic balls” - sold for cleaning decanters - to get rid of crud at the bottom of bottles. They work great.

Wasn't there a preference for thin bleach, because thick bleach sticks? Read it somewhere here I think.
I remember reading that somewhere too, was going to get the cheapest thin stuff I could see at supermarket

Likewise had some cruddy bottles, left them in a weak solution of cheapy bleach/distilled vinegar overnight, gave them a good shake and the crud that came out! Repeated for a second night with fresh mix, by morning, sparkly clean.

I mixed 1 teaspoon per gallon of cold water (not hot) and stirred, then added same amount of distilled vinegar, stirred again, excellent result.

Which is the same rate I actually use with bottles prior to bottling.

Latest posts

Back