Bottle Tree

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazz

Reaction score
I've recently bought a Bottle Tree to speed up the bottling process....

Just wondering whether it should be sterilised each time I use it ?

I've heard there's no need if using a 'non rise' sterilizer ?

I will be using Camden Solution

In not really sure how you would go about sterilising a bottle tree.

Personally I give mine a good wash before use, and a good rinse, then I spray starsan all over it to sanitise it.

No point putting clean sanitised bottles on it if it is dirty.

cleaned after use in hot water and given a squirt all over before hanging a bottle on each prong.
Get the bottle rinser thats designed to sit on the top too....makes the whole process a breeze

Make some starsan (non rinse) and put it in a spray bottle. Just spray the tree before and after use.

I soak mine prior to bottling in a 20 litre bucket filled with a water and OxiClean solution, which is then used to soak the bottles and assorted things needed for filling (hoses, filler etc).

and I bet you never steralise your bottle tops.....tut tut...

The bottle tree is new so might not need much cleaning....

I don't understand these non rinse sterilisers. Do they break down / evaporate in contact with the air or something. Surely some might get left behind....

What would be good is a giant 'radiation' chamber which we just place everything in....

calumscott said:
:oops: I never bother...

I should probably give it a soak in something nasty soon...

Me too. I just clean it under shower maybe 2 times a year? :D

It's flushed every other week with ClO2 or oxi I use for sanitizing bottles, I thought it's enough?

Jazz said:
The bottle tree is new so might not need much cleaning....

Bought from a homebrew store... what if it sat in the room where they grind the grain?

I haven't used mine yet, I assembled the washer assembly and the spring doesn't seem to locate properly but pushes down and returns fine, I wondered about sterilising it and would either soak it in a fermenting bucket or spray a solution on it.

Years ago when breweries didn't have all this cleaning stuff, how did they sterilise equipment other than boiling water?

Jazz said:
I don't understand these non rinse sterilisers. Do they break down / evaporate in contact with the air or something. Surely some might get left....

In the case of Star San, I believe it looses it's toxicity once it's diluted in the beer and then the remainder gets metabolised by the yeast.

Latest posts

Back