Bottling a few beers from a keg, couple weeks after racking.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jondread

Reaction score
So whats up with this? I saw some guy on youtube saying that he bottled some beers to take to a competition a few months after he had kegged his brew. I was going to a party on Saturday so I bottled a few bottles of my Burton Bridge from the keg, its been in there about 3 weeks and it tastes pretty good straight from the tap.

I opened a bottle at the party (same day) and it was noticeably flat, but the taste was still pretty good. Today though, 3 days later - it is really terrible... Flat, sour, could go as far as saying rancid......

I was very sanitary with everything, taking all the proper measures to sanitize my bottles, and anything that came into contact with them. There was however a lot of foaming when bottling, and I had to wait a little while before capping them, probably 10 - 15 minutes, as the foam was taking up most of the space. I didn't prime my bottles with anything as I was planning on drinking them all that night, but I only drank 1 (out of 4) in the end because I felt really tired.

So, did I do something wrong here or is this method only good for one day/night?

There was however a lot of foaming when bottling

I would say that's why it tastes bad. You probably oxidised the beer when pouring it into the bottle and after a few days it went bad.

Big chance you oxidized the beer when it was tapped into the bottles. You'll need a littler bottler which fills from the bottom - but you'll have to bodge it to fit on the kegs tap (probably ).

In regards to being flat - this is likely, especially since it was bottled from a pressure keg and they were left open for 15 mins.

Next time, bottle a few when racking and prime as normal - for these such occasions :thumb:

I did a similar thing with a Coopers Draught, kegged and primed with sugar and no CO2 cylinder. When the overpressure ran down I bottled the rest.
I kept the keg in the cellar at about 15 °C before bottling and reprimed in the bottle.
I'd say that the beer is alright but has a yeasty taste as it needs reconditioning but no off flavours.

That makes sense, I didn't realize that it would oxidize that quickly though. Wow! Its my keg I think, I know a workman should never blame his tools but its definitely my keg - because its a small 20 pint one, there is just too much pressure in it which makes it foam like mad all the time. I did bottle 24 bottles when initially racking and they've all turned out fine, but I thought I'd try this as I saw it on youtube and the guy seemed to be quite positive about it haha!

As for my brews, all my 1 can kits come out a tad on the yeasty side, the 2 can kits are very different, lovely and malty, full bodied and lots of flavor.

Oh and I do use a tube attached to the tap when bottling, to minimize any oxygen. But since initial racking it has carbonated like mad, and it had a month in the primary. Just too much pressure in this little keg...

Ive had this tasted Great from the Keg but when bottled was totally flat despite being primed. I a shame as I like to do a split combination of Bottle and Kegged

Hulpy said:
Ive had this tasted Great from the Keg but when bottled was totally flat despite being primed. I a shame as I like to do a split combination of Bottle and Kegged
I normally split mine too, this time I was only bottling 4 a couple of weeks after initially kegging though, to take them to a party. my bottled beers don't usually come out flat, but they do taste a lot different, and somewhat yeasty. I think they just need a lot longer to mature.

Latest posts

Back