Bottling day # 2 Admirals Reserve

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JordanB

Reaction score
My second batch will be going into bottles tomorrow gents with the torrid task of sterilising them all :-( I have a question though which is essential for tomorrow of how much sugar will I need to batch prime with for a 16.5 litre brew ?

...or if we assume 4g per teaspoon and 1/2 tsp per pint...

16.5 / 0.568 * 4g / 2 = 58g

Thanks alot mate I will use this as reference for future brews I was unsure of the correct ratio.

calumscott said:
...or if we assume 4g per teaspoon and 1/2 tsp per pint...

16.5 / 0.568 * 4g / 2 = 58g
I think this one will be the one to go for as the brew is going into wychwood bottles that hold roughly a pint.

Might be worth testing my logic though!

That's based on some volume to dry weight table I found on the internet and might not be wholly accurate!

The going rate for ales is 1/2tsp per pint as a start point, I like them a bit fizzier so I tend to go 3/4 tsp.

You could, if you were feeling public spirited, measure out 14 and a half level teaspoons and weigh it... :)

I will go half teaspoon a bottle mate , I will give that a whirl instead of batch priming and see which way I prefer.

JordanB said:
I will go half teaspoon a bottle mate , I will give that a whirl instead of batch priming and see which way I prefer.

Personally I go level flat every time :thumb:

Sugar that is - not on the floor after one too many :lol: :lol: :lol:

:cheers:

After a bacon and sausage sarnie and a cuppa I've just started :
d4b78026-2e1e-b858.jpg
the least favourite part first.

Just bottled it up tried individually priming this time , used half a teaspoon per bottle. I got quiete p*****d off actually as the smell as taste is exactly the same as my stout I chucked due to the same tang. I'm really hoping this may die down, Im really anal about cleaning and sterilising and keeping my temperatures in check. But to me this taste fusel as my last brew did ive moved brewing location to my bedroom where at the moment is 17.5 'c . I really am annoyed and dissapointed this will be another that goes down the sink in a few weeks if it doesnt sort itself out. Would be great if one of you more experienced brewers would have me send you a bottle and give me your diagnostic
d4b78026-7eba-bf28.jpg
New brew spot a cool 18'c
d4b78026-7ed8-b4e7.jpg

Or maybe another kit ? I need to get it right to make myself feel better as im genuinely gutted, curse you homebrew gods curse you !

Sorry to keep bumping this but things just keep coming up ! Couple of people seem to have had the same issue but turns out the beer was just green at first. My concern lies though in the fact it tastes exactly the same as my stout that had been in the bottle for 9 weeks and didn't change taste at all. Home brewing hurts my head.

Do you treat your water? I had issues with 3 brews where I didn't pre boil the water and used my combi boiler. There was a really acrid taste due to high ph and not an infection. I now use crs and campden and made a major difference, using the water treatment calculator. I also salifert and my alkalinity is about 231. I live in a hard water area, so just a thought. With kit and extract alkalinity isn't an issue, but with grains it is

I did indeed mate I used a campden tablet. The taste is hard pinpoint but if I was to put my money on it id say it was fusel.

Fair enough. Just read the whole thread and it hasn't been in the bottle long (a day?). Leave it where it is for 2 weeks, then another 3 to 4 conditioning and I am sure it will be great

Back