Bottling from Keg.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle_T

The Essex Brewer
Reaction score
Morning all,

Just a quick question, I've been reading a lot of people use a 2nd FV for bottling, but, I'm only bottling half a dozen sample bottles from each brew, is it possible to bottle some beer a couple of days after priming during carbonation from a keg and get the same results from using a second FV? Or will it risk going flat?

Morning!

Easiest way would be to batch prime in the 2nd FV, bottle what you need and transfer the rest to the keg.

If you wait until it's already carbonated, most of that will be lost on it's way to the bottle, and you would have to prime again.

Ah I see,

Trouble is I don't have a second FV (yet) but purchased a bottling stick and spare tap, I've managed to 'bodge' the stick so it will fit snug inside a barrel tap and I was wondering if I could bottle it straight from the keg just after priming.

If you do it just after you transfer the beer into the keg, then it should be fine. Just don't leave it any more than an hour or so as the yeast will start eating the priming sugar causing carbonation.

Also, make sure it's well mixed in the keg by syphoning in so it creates a swirl inside - you don't want the majority of the sugary beer to end up in the bottles as they will be overprimed and it could get messy!!

Latest posts

Back