bottling question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GliddosVinos

Reaction score
just been debating with myself and i what the best bottles for my ginger beer is ... i will be adding sugar to the bottom to make it fizzy ad i wanted bottles that are strong enough that they wont shatter or explode. I have saved some of the 1 liter coke bottles to use, however, today in Aldi i purchsed some french beers that come in the 25cl bottles. These bottles have a screw cap that looks like the beer tops you would normally take off with the bottle opener but u can twist these ones by hand. Would these bottles be strong enough????

The other bottles i was thinking of trying / using were the cider bottles like the magners / kopenburg bottles.

Any advice on which is best?

Thanks

Hi GV,any plastic pop bottles that have had fizzy drinks in would be fine,also the Magners bottles or any again that have held fizzy drinks would be fine. :cheers: ken.

Just a couple of things.
If you go down the PET route, are you sure you will want to drink a whole litre of GB at a time ?
As to the little "grenade" beer bottles, you may have a hard tome securing crown caps to them and getting a seal.

Personally, I would stick to standard beer/cider bottles.

I sometimes buy the cheap 6-packs of bottled water (500ml plastic bottles) and they work well for fizzy drinks. Any bottle that has held a fizzy drink should be suitable, but 1 litre bottles aren't always best as you might not want to drink a whole litre in one go, and it doesn't keep the best. The 25cl bottles would be a PITA to wash, sterlise, rinse and fill - I use 330ml beer bottles (that's all people ever leave at my house ) and while I get a good seal from them I'd much rather be using pint bottles. Glass bottles with twist threads on them don't get on well with crown caps, I've had a few pop off!

I'm going to be bottling my first cider in the next few days, and I've been saving up 500ml water bottles to put it in.

Hoping they work ok, but as others have said, any fizzy drink bottles should be strong enough to contain the pressure as the original contents were fizzy.

Unless you seriously overprime, most plastic bottles should be fine. My first 5 gallon batch of TV was bottled in 2 litre milk bottles! The pressure made them round out and fall over, but they didn't leak or split.

Latest posts

Back