Bottling St Peters Golden Ale Advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mazmann

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been brewing St Peter's Golden Ale from a kit and I would like to bottle it.

I have done everything the kit has said and now it has been in a keg barrel for two weeks.

It has had sugar in the keg, like the kit said, but know I am unsure whether I should put sugar in the beer again before I bottle it.

I have managed to get loads of bottles and will now pop to the shop to buy a crown capper, caps and little bottler....

So my question is, do I need to add sugar and how much....the kit is for 36 pints.

Thanks in advance for any answers..... and sorry if it is a stupid question, I have had a look and could not find an answer.

Mike

Hi there.

In future, if you plan on bottling, don't add extra sugar to the keg - the extra sugar is only there for carbonation, and in transferring it from the keg to the bottles, you'll lose most of the gas.

If you definitely want to bottle and not just drink from the keg, then I would get your bottles ready with 1/2tsp of sugar in each, then release the pressure from the keg by opening the lid slowly. Then use the tap to gently fill the bottles and cap.

You will end up with a slightly thinner and more alcoholic brew than it was intended to give, but it won't be by much and you should be fine.

Thanks for the advice!
I will let you know how it goes. I need the keg as I want to brew some cider next.

Mike

Latest posts

Back