Brew #2 Wilko's Best Bitter Kit with mistake

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamJohn

Reaction score
As I had bottled the my first attempt at making beer the FV was free... So I thought I had better get something in it.

I was in Wilkinsons yesterday and unfortunately there were no offers on the Muntons kits so I picked up their own brand 'Best Bitter' 2 can kit instead.

I cleaned out the FV with soda crystals, there is already some discoloration where the foam was on the previous kit that won't come out, hopefully this won't affect anything. I used the already mixed Star San solution that had been previously used to sanitize my bottles earlier in the week. It hadn't gone cloudy so I think that is fine.

I added 1/2 a campden tablet to 23l of water and drew off a kettle full to pour onto the contents of the cans. Here is where I made a mistake... I was distracted listening to the football and took the rest of the water to boil from the tap rather than the pre measured treated water. I didn't realise this error until I had added all the treated water to the FV and saw I had 26L in there. Most of the advice on these forums is to brew the kits short, unfortunately I have done the opposite. Would this have a major effect on the finished beer? Either way it is done now so I'll have to wait and see!

I recorded a OG of 1036. The room the FV is in is getting quite cold now (old house, no central heating). I may try and insulate it with a blanket or some old towels. Failing that, maybe invest in a belt heater.

i would get a packet of dry malt extract/dme/spray malt. add 500g to 1L of water and boil it up and add to the fv when cool will help with the extra water without losing flavour and body.

when you say its getting cold how cold?

The room temp today was a pretty constant 15c. This evening with the wood burner on the thermometer next to the FV is showing 18c. It will drop down a lot this evening though. not sure the minimum it gets, I have a electric thermometer I need to get batteries too which should record the min and max for me.

If it's on a cold floor, try and raise it up on something and wrap bubble wrap around and a blanket. I've been considering a lecky blanket.

You may find you'll be lowish on AVB ....... perhaps 4 instead of 4.5

iceo said:
i would get a packet of dry malt extract/dme/spray malt. add 500g to 1L of water and boil it up and add to the fv when cool will help with the extra water without losing flavour and body.

when you say its getting cold how cold?

I second this. I would also consider adding a hop tea if you have any hops around, to keepthe flavour balances

Latest posts

Back