Brew 7 - partial mash of leftovers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Algernon

Regular.
Reaction score
Trying to recreate my second brew (while using up leftovers) which was a Woodforde's Wherry with extra dark crystal malt and roasted rye grains. It turned out like theakston's OP and I am running out rapidly.

Grain Bill:
1075g Optic malt
500g Abbey malt
800g Medium Spray malt (= 1.2kg malt grain or thereabouts)
150g Dark Crystal malt
200g Rolled Oats (remember glucan rest with 20g malt grains)
150g Roast Rye malt
Hops:
Chinook 10g 60 mins 13.3%aa & Campden Tablet
Citra 15g 60 mins 14.8%aa
Citra 10g 15 mins & Irish Moss
Citra 20g flameout
Citra 20g Dry Hop in FV (use bag – remove after 7 days)
Yeast: Wilko’s own (worked well for braggot)
Brew Length: 10L (using 18.5L or 21L) water in total)
Method:
Add 25g of MO malt to the 200g of oats. Add to thermo-mug and add 750ml of water at 45oC (see if this drops to 37oC or above – aiming to mash at 35-40oC for 20 to 30 mins). (yup – tests reveal that 750ml @45c works well here).
Heat 10L of water to 70oC and immerse all grains (including oats). Add heat to get up to 67 if needed. Mash for 90 mins.
Raise temp to 75 and hold for 10 mins.
Heat pan with 4L water, to 80oC
Lift bag, place colander under it and drain into pan.
Sparge with the 4L of water.
Allow to drain, remove grains, add first hops and CT and bring to boil.
After 45 mins add 10g Citra + Irish Moss, finally 5 mins before flameout add the DME and dissolve, then add the last hops, 20g Citra on flameout.
Liquor back to desired OG (used reduced water volume until I get a tap fitted to my 70L shiny. Hoiking that off the hob and pouring it is unpleasant, and siphoning without a hop filter is annoying/ineffective).
Aiming for around 1.060 and FG of 1.015 to 1.020
Post-Brew notes:
OG 1.054 @30c so 1.056 at rtp
Ended up looking paler than brew 2. Maybe up the rye and DCM next time. That said, if this is nicer, keep it this way.
*** Wort sat overnight pre-boil due to time constraints - might this cause any problems?***

only reported problem i can think of with leaving wort overnight is that if mould develops, it can leave a taste. but certainly, it won't cause your beer to go mouldy. it's basically sat unprotected that long in the FV sometimes without the ability to boil it to get rid of nasties.

looks like a cracking brew, hope you enjoy it. :cheers:

Back