Brew Day - Coopers English Bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dfoley1985

Reaction score
Happy days

Just started my fourth brew. Made it up with 1 can of the english bitter and about 800grms of youngs enhancer. My plan is a nice session brew as im not keen on too much strength. Heres hoping for the best :)

The kit only said 500g of dry malt so i think the youngs enhancer will go very well with it as its spray malt and dextrose. Any thoughts?

Happy days

Just started my fourth brew. Made it up with 1 can of the english bitter and about 800grms of youngs enhancer. My plan is a nice session brew as im not keen on too much strength. Heres hoping for the best :)

The kit only said 500g of dry malt so i think the youngs enhancer will go very well with it as its spray malt and dextrose. Any thoughts?

Usually I would put in 500g of spray Malt AND 500g of sugar OR 1kg of enhancer, so it should be fine although a little bit under powered if you go to 23l. I have made this kit. It's a funny one because it used Pride of Ringwood hops and not something usually associated with English bitters like EKG or Fuggles etc. I personnally found it quite a "cold" type beer more like a dark larger or a french brown beer, in that it had "edges" that English ales don't normally have. I don't know if that makes sense to you but do keep me informed on what it turns out like and how you like it. It is a nice beer all the same. Also, there should be a thread on this on the Kit list so have a look.

Happy days

You will improve this kit by dry hopping it or making up a hop tea. If you are unfamiliar with these techniques they basically put hop flavour and aroma into the finished brew, and replace some of what was lost when the kit was made. You can choose your own preferred hop like say Goldings or First Gold which should compliment the style well.
Dry hopping is covered here...
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=61045
and guide to hops here
Suitable hops for English and American ales - The HomeBrew Forum
Review of the kit here
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=20216

Last edited:
Cheers guys. Im hoping abv wise for 3.8-4% im not one for strong beers i have scotch for that! ;)

So far ive done a wherry which i loved a wilko stout which i tinkered with adding golden syrup (also nice) and i made a turbo strawberry cider which ill admit was too bloody strong for me! My borderline alkoholic mates loved it though :)

This brew started slow then went mad and has now stopped bubbling in the airlock in less than a week.

Im going to leave it the full 14 days before bottling as i want it to clear as much as possible. Im going to bottle using bog standard granulated sugar. Level teaspoon in each bottle.

It smells very nice already!

Back