Brew day to drinking in two weeks. How to?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRTurner1234

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to get a brew on tomorrow (5 Aug) and I want to drink it at a party in two weeks (12 Aug).

Anyone got any tips?!

Thanks,
J

Do you mean 12 Aug for the party? That's in one week.....

Keep it session, sub 4.5% for sure, 4% would be better. Use a yeast you know goes fast and pitch plenty, use nutrient if you have it and oxygenate the bejeezus out of it before you pitch. Basically you want to get fermentation going as quickly as you possibly can or else that's 'wasted' time. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll struggle in one week, I've made pale ales at 5% that tasted good after 2 weeks in the fermentor and 1 week in the bottle. But they were better after a couple of extra weeks in the bottle.

My golden ale was pretty good at 2 weeks - but got much better.

5kg pale malt
60mins 20g pilgrim (or something else similar aa wise)
10mins 10g pilgrim (plus Irish moss)
5mins 10g pilgrim
0mins 10g pilgrim

Rehydrated s-04 yeast chewed through mine in a week and I initially had this is a pb (bottle once it lost pressure - AGAIN).

I have just put a Coopers Original stout into a PB.
Five days to virtually complete the primary at about 20*C.
Another five days to finish off.
Day 10 into PB almost clear.
One day on, enough head pressure to deliver carbonated beer. Drinkable if you know no better, if a little raw.
By day 14 I reckon there should be enough pressure to get down most of the PB, and it will have greatly improved having sampled earlier Coopers stouts before at this stage.
Trouble is stout is not to everyone's taste :doh:

You'll struggle in one week, I've made pale ales at 5% that tasted good after 2 weeks in the fermentor and 1 week in the bottle. But they were better after a couple of extra weeks in the bottle.
Good point! Is this 2 week brew being kegged (casked) or bottled? Bottling adds quite a time.

The type of beer makes an enormous difference too. I frequently make British "cask" style beers and would expect them to be ready in 10 days.

Something like Nottingham yeast at a fairly warm temp with the beer fined at day 8 or 9, beer kegged at day 10 or 11 and two days being forced carbed then serve it cold and it should be fairly passable, after the first few no one will be caring to much.

Dont waste your time, invest the time into a cross channel ferry run and buy beer while you can..
even the most optimistic kit instructions promise a pint within 20 something days.. and they mean 40 im sure ;)

I once upon a time brewed a batch that was quaffable within 4 weeks, but generally i will prefer my beers after at least a month of sat in the cool maturing, though that is a subjective matter of taste I will concede.

I think its too ambitious a goal

Buy in. You'll not achieve anything worthwhile, and surely the point of making your own is to end up with something you have pride in? Don't waste your time and effort.

Make a decent beer and enjoy it afterwards...

Use CrossMyLoof yeast.

Last one fermented out in 36 hours. 3 days cold crash later and I was packaging it.

Carbed up in another 3/4 and drinking.

Nice.

As The Idiot says, you don't want to rush a brew if your plan is for quite a few folk to sample it.

If it turned out less than perfect, you'd regret it.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Wasn't it @chippytea that could turn a beer around in 2 weeks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, that was me. I've turned around beers in about 10 day a number of times. The 'rules' of how to do it have been detailed variously in the thread.

* Keep the OG low
*Use a fast fermenting yeast (I usually use notty), and use plenty of it. Use a starter or hydrate the yeast. Ferment warm end of the yeast's temp range
*Choose your beer style carefully. Dont use lots of specialty malts. I normally do this with a bitter as I only wait 3 days for carbonation. As bitters are a low carbonated beer this style suits fast turn around

But as AJhutch says 5-12 Aug is only 7 days so I dont think the OP will have enough time

I'm going to make an 'unintentional' fast turn around bitter today. The OG is 1.036 and I'm using notty which I'll free ferment with. The temp in the corner of my kitchen is abou 25C, so I'm guessing it will have finished in about about 5 days or so. If it has I'll package it and probably start tucking in about 3 days later

Plan A - Go for it, in spite of what the doomongers tell you. If it's not good to serve on the day, don't serve it, keep it and enjoy it yourself later, and then go to
Plan B - Buy it in

The quickest I have gone from brew day to drinking is 8 Days.
Simple recipe, mainly pale malt. US05 yeast fermented at about 22c. 4 days fermenting and 4 days in keg carbing up and clearing (no finings used).
Came out pretty good with only a slight haze. If you use US hops then you can get away with a bit of haze as 'they are supposed to be like that' :)

Plan A - Go for it, in spite of what the doomongers tell you. If it's not good to serve on the day, don't serve it, keep it and enjoy it yourself later, and then go to
Plan B - Buy it in

I agree. This plan also involves having a brew day, which buying in doesn't!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something like Nottingham yeast at a fairly warm temp with the beer fined at day 8 or 9, beer kegged at day 10 or 11 and two days being forced carbed then serve it cold and it should be fairly passable, after the first few no one will be caring to much.

My thoughts also. Notty yeast will chew through it in 3 days. Syphon into a clean FV and use gelatin and cold crash as soon as fermentation ends. Bottle after 5 days, again warm condition for as long as possible and cold crash really cold the day before 1°. I think you'll have something passable after 2 weeks.

If you've corny kegs that will make your job so much easier. You could pass through a 1/2 micron filter and quick carb in 20 minutes.

I've been thinking about speedy brews lately, I would think temperature control is a must.

Latest posts

Back