Brew House (shed)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wardup82

Reaction score
Hi,

Since setting up HB activities almost a year ago the wife has been moaning to get the kit out of the kitchen. Having a small house with no garage etc has made this impossible but today finally persuaded her to let me get another shed (6x4 max) in the garden to move everything into. The plan is to use this for all brewing, mainly wine and cider, going to run power into it so I can run a fridge and also plan to get a few sets of shelves for storage of conditioning brews..

Does anybody else have a similar setup? Plan to get an aquarium heater and put it in a storage box (6inches or so deep) of water to maintain a steady temperature for fermenting. Is this a good idea and does it work? Also does anybody have experience as to how hot it could get in our glorious summers and what effect this could have on any stored brews? Plan to use free cycle to get biggest fridge possible.

Sorry for all the questions but want to make sure the expansion of the WARDY BREWERY is a success!

I'd be inclined to insulate the inside, which should keep it cooler in summer & warmer in winter.
Some 1" celotex (foil coated foam type) will make a whole load of difference.

Yep I use a big fish tank heater in various sized stackable plactic boxes depending on what size FV's I have on the go an any one time. I have crumbled polystyrene packing floating on the top of the water and a length of plastic covered glass fibre insulation that I wrap around the water baths. I have this set up in the garage which is much cooler than the house in the summer and works very well.
I would be worried about brewing in a shed in the height of summer, You might want some kind of reflective surface on the roof. (black is bad) and like Muddy says some insulation too, otherwise it's going to be 35 + easy on sunny days. I'm not a beer brewer but I certainly wouldn't want any of my wines subjected to those sudden changes in temp.
But if thats where youve been ousted to, you'll make it work pal :cool:

Thanks for the info on the water bath glad it works. I will use foil backed insulation inside the roof and try some white plastic sheeting on the outside of the roof. I know silver would be best but think the neighbors will moan with the sunlight reflecting into their houses. Think this has to be the only time I haven't wanted a red hot summer!

Back