Brewers Spring, Pilsner

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkyslime

Reaction score
I picked this up yesterday for the reduced price of £12 short date .
had a quick look in the big box to find a very different kit than I'm used to it included 7.5l of concentrated wort 17g saaz hop pellets 200g priming sugar a sachet of bentonite and a coopers yeast.fv full for another week i will get it on then .

Well, got this one as it had been reduced from £30 to £20 in LHBS. Looks a good kit, big bladder full of fresh wort with a bag of Saaz hop pellets included. It also includes a coopers yeast which I think is acually an ale yeast, although could be wrong. Made it up as per instructions and got an OG of 1052. It was then placed brew fridge and kept at a constant 19C. Racked into secondary after 6 days and Gravity was down to 1020. Intention is to leave it now for a couple of weeks then prime and keg. I was slightly worried at first as practically no Krausen and no airlock activity however things are obviously happening :pray: I was wondering if anyone has done this kit before and what the results were?

Defiantly a lack of information on these kits i think the original price has put people off .not starting mine until this weekend so any advice you have would be much appreciated .if its good might buy more my lhbs overstocked and they have the Mexican lager as well .

Finally got this started got 1052 hydrometer reading at 23ltrs so if it ferments down properly should be a fairly strong brew. I did taste out of the trial jar and it was very sweet.

Well got this down to 1015 and kegged tonight. Trial jar tasted very nice indeed. Back into fridge to condition at 22 for a week now then its the garage floor till xmas. Hopefully should be a cracking brew.

Hi

Just put this into the pressure barrel tonight

Also bottled 10 x 500ml bottles

This was an absolute bargain at £12 due to short date

I therefore "tailored" this brew - boiled the wort with additions of Saaz hops at 60, 20 and 10 mins, the used a specific Pilsener yeast.
It is a darker amber colour now rather than a pale yellow/gold, but what does that matter if it tastes good!!!!

Upon tasting this looks like it will be excellent - but time will tell fully

Keep you all posted :cheers:

Well have just had a couple of pints from the barrel

Am very happy with this - even though it is still young and still slightly cloudy

The "tailoring" of this has paid dividends

Very rich, highly flavoured, absolutely no home brew nose or taste,very much along the lines of a premium german lager

Am a happy chap with this - have decided that most kits benefit from a little tweaking - especially at this price

would highly recommend trying if anyone can find at this "knock down" price

Generic self-depreciating first post disclaimer!

Finally, after nearly a year of hmm'ing and hah'ing about getting in to brewing, I sunk costs in to a "starter kit" which included amongst various brewing paraphernalia, this Brewer's Spring Pilsner kit. I bought the kit around October 2013, but only got around to brewing it in January. I would've procrastinated longer, but the big bladder of wort was fast closing in on it's spoiling date.

Being only my second attempt at a discernibly drinkable end product, I followed the instructions of the kit by the letter... until I realised I was one 23L glass carboy short of a "starter" kit. Having learned to "make do" at a young age, I adapted.

Brew day - in a 30 minute epic panic, I think I managed to do everything quite close to the instructions (I did, however, forget to take the OG). I used the old standard Young's FV, but with a hole drilled in the lid for an aquarium heater set-up tuned to keep the temp at around 21C.

Primary Fermentation came and went - I left the beer in the FV for about 7 days in total, then transferred into my <glass carboy substitute> for secondary fermentation. I didn't want to top up to the top of another Youngs FV as the instructions directed as it would have been adding another 2-3L of water. That was an executive decision - watery, weak beer vs extra headspace and exposure to air which could've produced some nastiness - any advice on this decision would be greatly appreciated btw.

I left the beer in the FV for another 13 days (lucky number) at around 21C again before batch priming with the included priming sugar. I bottled using re-used glass bottles- oh how they pile up! I stored the bottles in the coldest room in the house to clear up.

Results - I've been trying one a week for about 4 weeks now. First week/bottle was rough! Pleased to see it has been getting better by the week however.

My first brew was a Coopers Brewmasters IPA and I definitely noticed some dodgy off-flavours - initial swig was pleasing, but a second after the swig you get the off-flavour. The beer improved with age, and the off-flavour dissipated, but never left. For this Brewer's Spring kit, however, it seems the off-flavours have gone after about a month, and the bottles are starting to disappear rather quickly. Good kit! A little expensive, but as MarkS says, grab it if it's on a knock-down price - which will happen as they have fairly short best before dates!

Did you give the bottles two weeks in the warm before so they could carb up before putting them in the cold room?

You can leave it in one FV for a a few weeks without any problems (Mine stay in there for 14 days), so you don't really need a glass carbouy. I always tend to brew my kits short so 21L rather than 23L as I find it gives a slightly better body and flavour and slightly higher ABV.

Give them longer before you try, some beers need quite a while to come into their own :drunk:

Matty - thanks for the feedback and tips! I did indeed give the bottles 2 weeks at around 19-20C for carbonation. I forgot to add that part. And yeah, I definitely need to leave these beers longer - I get carried away with new brew enthusiasm! Have you given this BS Pilsner a go? Do you have a recommended amount of time for it to peak?

That sounds like a good plan leaving it in the primary FV for the extra time rather than transferring in to a secondary FV - are there any benefits to transferring to secondary FV? I thought it would help clear the beer up, what with the sludge that was left behind in the primary FV, but when I look at the majority of the bottles there is as much sediment in the bottles as there was for the Coopers IPA (which wasn't transferred to a secondary FV).

Thanks for the brew short tip too! I'm planning on putting a Coopers Australian Lager and a Stout (or maybe Mexican cerveza seeing the weather's on the turn) on the go this week, so I'll try brewing them short. Just use the same amount of 'fermentables' for the shorter brew, right?

Latest posts

Back