Brewers yeast as a health food supplement

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeofC

Reaction score
Dried brewers yeast can be bought in healthfood shops as a food supplement (I like it stirred into a glass of milk). Has anyone successfully dried out their yeast after a brew to use in this way, and if so, how?

Dried brewers yeast can be bought in healthfood shops as a food supplement (I like it stirred into a glass of milk). Has anyone successfully dried out their yeast after a brew to use in this way, and if so, how?
Why bother? $6.00 AU for 225g from Woolies. but makes a good yeast nutrient.

What purported heath benefit are you expecting to get?

But I'm sure you could. Spread it out on parchment or silicone paper and put it into the oven on low (or after it's been on). That should dry it out fairly well.

1706393148589.png

Why bother? $6.00 AU for 225g from Woolies. but makes a good yeast nutrient.
Why buy it when we already have it and will probably just throw it out? Also, it isn't that easy to get locally in a lot of places unless you buy online.

Why buy it when we already have it and will probably just throw it out? Also, it isn't that easy to get locally in a lot of places unless you buy online.
You haven't got Woolworths or Marmite? Though Vegemite is superior for vitamin B supplements.

You haven't got Woolworths or Marmite? Though Vegemite is superior for vitamin B supplements.
Woolworths went bust and didn't reappear here in the UK. Marmite and Vegemite are good but they aren't dried yeast

Microwave some baker's yeast to kill it and use that, it's the same yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. You are going to struggle to dry out yeast.

Back