Brewery project phase 1 - Boiler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

cnelsonplumber

This is a learn as I go project so apologies if any of the questions that follow over the next few months seem daft.

I am starting with the boiler and have an immersion heater and the elusive 2 1/4" backnut complete with a selection of washers.

My first concern is getting a plastic boiler to drill through that will stand the temperature ie a thermoplastic vessel. This is mainly to keep the cost down and there seem to be many many suppliers of plastic fv's etc.

My starter kit came with 2 X 30 ltr FV's but I don't think they are up to the job.

Is anyone able to reccommend such an item?

Thanks

A stainless pot from nordic

here

get a big one 70L you will grow into it and be doing 10 gallon brews in no time

did you get these to deliver to the UK?

prolix said:
A stainless pot from nordic

here

get a big one 70L you will grow into it and be doing 10 gallon brews in no time

They do deliver to the UK, even though the ebay auction page says delivery to France only. When I bought my pots all I did was take the item number off the French site and put it into ebay.co.uk, this makes the payment easier as it's in English!

Cheers
Simon

simonranson said:
They do deliver to the UK, even though the ebay auction page says delivery to France only. When I bought my pots all I did was take the item number off the French site and put it into ebay.co.uk, this makes the payment easier as it's in English!

Cheers
Simon

hah nice trick thanks a lot!

I just contacted them and they said they DO have them in stock now and that they DO post to the UK. He is going to send me a quote for one 70 litre pot including postage to Wales soon and I'll post it here when I find out. Good spot!

this might seem like a dum question but if im wanting to do around 23ltr brews would a 33L pot be big enough? or should i be going for the 50L?

Virgilartois said:
I just contacted them and they said they DO have them in stock now and that they DO post to the UK. He is going to send me a quote for one 70 litre pot including postage to Wales soon and I'll post it here when I find out. Good spot!

Cost me £55.68 inc delivery in January for 70L stock pot. Still havn't found anything that can beat them.
£78.36 for 38.5L Thermo-box.

burkej said:
The Ginger Ninja said:
this might seem like a dum question but if im wanting to do around 23ltr brews would a 33L pot be big enough? or should i be going for the 50L?

I dont have any experience but I am following this guide which suggests reducing headspace to keep it hot during the mash:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-st ... ics-90132/

Are you mashing on top of a stove too? a 33L vessel with the lid on and some decent insulation (foam and a sleeping bag) should only lose about 1 degree over 90mins. For 23L brews the 33L pot should be just big enough to mash and boil in. I wouldn't worry too much about the headspace issue. If I were you, I'd think of the future and get the 50L if funds and space allow it.

cheers, if theres no problem with doing a 23 litre boil in a 50L pot then as you say i should get the 50L. Tis on the the ever growing list of things to buy......... (a larger house might be going on it soon...............)

Latest posts

Back