impact of mash temp on mash extraction / efficiency

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do we assume the same sugar extraction at all mash temps or is there something that says you achieve a different mash efficiency at lower mash temps? Just asking as I've just finished fermenting a Saison with an OG a goof 4 points low (64% mash efficiency vs 79% target efficiency) and FG finished a good 6 points lower than target. My mash temp was a bit lower than I normally brew at and usually hit OG within a point or so, therefore 4 points is a bit more of a miss than I might expect.

There was a honey addition late on in the boil so maybe its a Brewfather assumption of Honey contribution?

Thanks.

It is not the quantity of sugars produced so much as the type. A lower mash temperature will rpoduce more fermentable sugars, whereas a higher mash temperature will produce more (unfermentable) dextrines. All other things being equal a lower mash temperature should produce a lower FG and a higher percentage of alcohol.

Back