Brewfather

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezbrews

Apprentice commercial brewer, amateur home brewer
Reaction score
It seems like a fair number of people use this platform, so I thought it might not be a bad idea to have a sort of ongoing master thread that questions can be posted on (at this rate I can tell it's going to be me asking most of them).

There's something I'm finding particularly confusing. With a new piece of equipment, I'm obviously going to have to figure out the mash efficiency and brewhouse efficiency. The mash efficiency will largely come down to: did I get lots of sugar out of the malt bill?

My question is, if I alter the crush of a malt, this will seemingly affect mash efficiency but is more a factor of the fermentable rather than the equipment. As such, if I decide to crush further and get more out because I'm using BIAB and I can get away with it, I will get a higher yield but how do I factor this in? Should I create a new fermentables profile with the mill size in the notes? Thanks in advance

You can adjust the equipment profile for a higher efficiency

You can adjust the equipment profile for a higher efficiency
But surely I'd have to change this for every new malt combination? Surely it's the extract values that change based on malting and crush size, the efficiency of the kit shouldn't change?

Whatever the efficiency you start with on your equipment setting, once you do a batch using Brewfather it will show the actual percentage you achieved in reality on the brew page.
I seem to get same efficiency ( within a point or so ) whatever my malt bill so I'd argue its more to with equipment/system than crush of grain or it's malting.
Temperature of mash makes the biggest difference in my experience.

But surely I'd have to change this for every new malt combination? Surely it's the extract values that change based on malting and crush size, the efficiency of the kit shouldn't change?
Potentially yes...you can just copy your equipment profile, call it something different and adjust your efficiency individually so you have a profile for fine crush and a profile for medium crush say, each identical apart from the efficiency assumptions.

Latest posts

Back