Brewferm carbonation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleik

Reaction score
Hi,

I brewed the Abdij kit to the letter last year, blinking gorgeous, but undercarbed. Their priming sugar values seem very low compared with brewersfriend (which I've used with great success for carbing). Like 65g versus 100g or something.

Anyway, I've bought 8 of their kits for a Belgian beer wedding toast later in the year. I'm worried if I go high with sugar, it might not all get eaten up if I'm moving to secondary and cold crashing (will there be enough yeast left to gobble up so much sugar - excuse me if I've misunderstood a bit of the science!). Or if there is enough yeast will I get the garage in a big mess?

I obviously don't want to mess this up. Thoughts? Ta

Might be worth upping it a bit. I regularly brew the Brewferm kits and a couple have been a bit under-carbonated, I cold crashed and the yeast seems to have dropped out more than other yeasts. They did come good eventually with a long conditioning time, if they're in your garage it's very cold this time of year but it'll warm up soon and they may get going again. I store mine in the garage and this seems to happen.

Thanks for the replies, I got muddled up between two brews, but 9L Abdij needed 63g as confirmed by brewersfriend, but this was way too low in every bottle.

So I wonder if I forsake clear beer for better carbonation, by not doing secondary or cold crashing...

Luckily I have a knackered fridge and thermostat so temperature's never off the mark, but thanks for thinking.

Hi,

I brewed the Abdij kit to the letter last year, blinking gorgeous, but undercarbed. Their priming sugar values seem very low compared with brewersfriend (which I've used with great success for carbing). Like 65g versus 100g or something.

Anyway, I've bought 8 of their kits for a Belgian beer wedding toast later in the year. I'm worried if I go high with sugar, it might not all get eaten up if I'm moving to secondary and cold crashing (will there be enough yeast left to gobble up so much sugar - excuse me if I've misunderstood a bit of the science!). Or if there is enough yeast will I get the garage in a big mess?

I obviously don't want to mess this up. Thoughts? Ta

The only Brewferm kit I did was a Xmas Ale a few years back. I bottled initially at 1020 and that was a bad move. Had to pour the whole lot back into a FV and re-bottle as they all went off like fire extinguishers. So my advice is to take a careful gravity reading and make sure it is in line with the kit instructions (just for once!). Then you can be sure that your priming sugar is appropriate.

The only Brewferm kit I did was a Xmas Ale a few years back. I bottled initially at 1020 and that was a bad move. Had to pour the whole lot back into a FV and re-bottle as they all went off like fire extinguishers. So my advice is to take a careful gravity reading and make sure it is in line with the kit instructions (just for once!). Then you can be sure that your priming sugar is appropriate.

Yeah my problem was it swung too far the other way, always a sensible move though. The temptation is to just leave the thing weeks and not even take a reading since there's so little in there to begin with, haha. The wedding is in September so I'm in no rush to get them bottled!

Well I go up to 3.3 vols and even crappy Koppaberg bottles have never broken.

I followed their instructions for the abdij & their kreik and they were spot on for me thought they do like a few months to condition and carbonate correctly.

Back