Brewing frustration - wine takes a bashing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vossy1

Landlord.
Reaction score
I can't brew beer at the mo so the frustrations been building and it has to vent somewhere, so with encouragement from MrsV1 the wine is taking a hammering...as is my allotment, Wilko's and a lot of previously dusty demi's :roll: :P
So from left to right, Blackcurrant 1+1/2, Raspberry 1+1/2, Wilko Black Cherry Merlot x 1, Wilko Elderflower x 1

Gooseberry and carrot waiting for the demi treatment

I wonder what might be next :P

Now how about those reduced Wilko kits :hmm:

allotments and wine making......a marriage made in heaven.

Ti's true B :cool: Well a few days on, V's silly error...do as Cherry kit instructions say and top up (IN ONE GO) to 4.5ltr after 3 days...presently spewing everywhere :roll: and the Gooseberry gets racked to DJ. Unfortunately I don't have any spare DJ's left so this could get messy :P ...I could do with getting more small DJ's :hmm:

Mrs V1 presently grating 5lb of marrow...best to leave her be :whistle:

The DJ's look great on top of the Piano (I presume it is a piano). :thumb:

Just put a candle on top of each airlock and hey presto wine and mood lighting all in one.

Now there is a recipe for a good night in :whistle: :whistle:

The DJ's look great on top of the Piano (I presume it is a piano).
It is :thumb:
Just put a candle on top of each airlock and hey presto wine and mood lighting all in one.
The way this Cheery ones taken off again it's launch the candle into outer space :lol: ..had to fit an blow off tube now, it's that bad :roll:
The yeast has also well and truly started on the Gooseberry....gawd :shock:

I've never seen 1/2 size dj's before!! :shock: where did you pick them up from?
They've come as part of bulk DJ buys from peoples selling. You can get them easily by buying Old Rosie cider from Morrisons/Tesco's et al but they require a different sized bung IIRC...not a problem though I think you can get them on Ebay....must investigate again :hmm:

Cool, thanks for the info - I normally have 6 to 8 dj's on the go, taking a couple of months to be ready for bottling - this just keeps up with the wife's demands !! A good BBQ session can put a serious dent in the wine and beer homebrew so good to stay ahead :lol:

CJJ Berry, 5th impression 1983 page 174/5 Marrow wine recipe (should be the same recipe in other editions).
Sugar content 2kg Metric, 3lbs British and 2.25 US pounds...all other recipes with same pounds UK/US 1.5kg metric.
We've assumed that's a printing error and have used 1.5kg but has anyone done this wine before. Racked onto the sugar and all previous ferments go like the clappers...this one almost totally stalled, so much so we added more yeast this am...is this normal for this wine :hmm:

evanvine said:
Sugar content 2kg Metric, 3lbs British and 2.25 US pounds
I always thought that US lbs and UK lbs were one and the same.
+ I also thought that 1kg = 2.2lbs. :wha:

US & UK pounds are the same, however US & UK gallons are different (the British one is ~25% bigger) and most recipes are for 1 gallon batches, so you need less sugar for a US gallon than a UK one.

Swimbo goes to Tesco's for some wine and beer for tonight....little did I know she'd been reading the WOW thread :shock:...to be fair all the cartons of apple juice had been reduced to 16p...so I might forgive her :hmm:

The Wilko black cherry and Elderfower have now had the flavourings added and a lot of the other wines are already slowing down.

Mmmmm pineapple

just racked my pineapple today.... it is fantastic :thumb:

SWMBO will be pleased (I hope) :whistle:

Quick update, Mrs V has been very busy...with a little help from me :whistle: , yesterday she bottled the Black Cherry and Elderflower kits, creating a gap in the DJ's, carrot wine racked and clearing nicely, gooseberry not so well :roll:

A quick slurp of the elderflower, a bit harsh but not bad with lemonade :roll: :lol: and as there's a gap in the DJ's, a passion fruit wow and Damson and Blackcurrant wine fill the void :cool:

Mrs V is a bit busy at the mo but would like to thank Moley for the WOW instructions which helped her no end :thumb:
Just 25ltrs of Turbo cider to rack now but that can wait until after the footy....Man U v Liverpool... :party:

Looking good. Patience and maturing for a few months helps. WOWs take about a month minimum, but should be drunk under 12 months to be at their best.

Back