brewing related injuries

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're handy and know the rules about electricity well enough to make mains powered stuff that won't kill people, you can make a power controller using those electric cooker power controllers. I think they are called 'simmer stats' or something of the sort. A stirdy insulated project box with a power socket mounted on it and a simmer stat in it with a knob on the front with a power cord coming out the back ending in a nice three pin plug would do the trick Cwrw. You can plug in teh lead and then plug your Ace into the socket with the simmerstat in between. That should control it fine. Those simmer what nots can control a big fat ring on an electric cooker so you can surely find one to manage your 1.6KW element. Mine is 2.6KW or thereabouts and it boils like some torture vat in Hell. It is almost volcanic during the boil, especially when you get the hot break and for a few minutes after putting in the Protoflock stuff.

Cheers Tony, I'll have to look into that. Mine too boils like a volcano and I'm often misjudging my volumes so it's pretty damn full as it comes to the boil - haven't had a full boil-over for a while though.:cheers:

Ok I've ordered one - looks easy enough to wire up.

Cheers Tony, I'll have to look into that. Mine too boils like a volcano and I'm often misjudging my volumes so it's pretty damn full as it comes to the boil - haven't had a full boil-over for a while though.:cheers:

Ok I've ordered one - looks easy enough to wire up.

It will come with a product leaflet probably. I replaced some duff ones in a cooker recently. I can't recall the exact details but they had more terminals than I expected because they connect to indicator lights as well as the power cables, but it wasn't hard. Mine didn't have labels that made much sense on the terminals. If they had been labelled 'L' , 'N' and 'GND' it would have been easier. Anyway, I am sure you will figure it out. There are some nice sturdy project boxes available too. My local electronics outlet is pretty good about stuff like that. If you don't have one, they do postal service too.

https://www.esr.co.uk/electronics/products/frame_enclosures.htm

I can "Blackcat" anyones brewing injuries.
Picking up a 23li brew bucket full of boiling liquor (I only lift it 2 inches of the ground across the garage floor) it slipped out of my fingers and splashed back down my left arm. From shoulder to fingertips, everything. I knew it was very serious, so phoned 999. I explained what Id done and was running it under cold water. 3 mins later a NHS motorcyclist arrived (NHS what a service).
He had a quick look at my arm and Im sure he gagged. He says weve got to get you to Major Burns Unit at Birmingham Hospital, straight away. "There is a ambulance on its way, but it will take too long in the traffic, we have a helicopter overhead and they are going to land on the golf course behind your house".
Im no stranger to being Casevacked out of somewhere, but told him there is no real need.
"Ill make the decisions, thank you" he said.
The result was blisters all down my left arm and six weeks off work.
Wont be doing that again in a hurry.

Nothing apart from a stubbed toe taking the grains out the compost heap in the dark.

Might have to get a volt/amp meter and check my elements, 33l tub (so usually filled to about 25l), 2x 2200W elements and never had a boil over even when running both, I do try and switch off the 2nd when it hits 95, but I barely get any foam even. Just a nice fast rolling convection and a lot of steam. I do deliberately mount my elements quite high up in the kettle to prevent them sitting in the hops, wonder if that helps.

Picking up a 23li brew bucket full of boiling liquor (I only lift it 2 inches of the ground across the garage floor) it slipped out of my fingers and splashed back down my left arm. From shoulder to fingertips, everything. I knew it was very serious, so phoned 999. I explained what Id done and was running it under cold water. 3 mins later a NHS motorcyclist arrived (NHS what a service).
He had a quick look at my arm and Im sure he gagged. He says weve got to get you to Major Burns Unit at Birmingham Hospital, straight away. "There is a ambulance on its way, but it will take too long in the traffic, we have a helicopter overhead and they are going to land on the golf course behind your house".
Im no stranger to being Casevacked out of somewhere, but told him there is no real need.

Oh good gosh!!!!! Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope you're not too scarred from this.

I hope I never have this kind of story. I actually got myself a pair of very long chemical handling gloves to move boiling stuff, because I know I would do something like this.

I've cut my fingers on various bits of kit and had minor burns, but wow.

Thats pretty grim JB. I've a rubber apron and gloves for shifting boiling wort. Just last year my little lad pulled a cup of tea over himself and we ended up in Royal Manchester Children's Hospital for a month while he was treated for it. The poor bugger has two smallish skin grafts pretty much where his collarbones are. It's easy to become complacent with hot liquids, but the damage they can do and the recovery time really does shock you.

The strange thing is, is that it didnt hurt, I can only put this own to a few reasons.
1, Im a double hard Barsteward.
2, Good First Aid practice...cold water for a long time....same with any burn. no soothing gels etc. When "they" say 10 mins under cold water, they mean 10 mins under cold water.
3, I was ******, well I was, but not for the whole 6 weeks.
Never been one for the Elfand safety, judt be careful

It will come with a product leaflet probably. I replaced some duff ones in a cooker recently. I can't recall the exact details but they had more terminals than I expected because they connect to indicator lights as well as the power cables, but it wasn't hard. Mine didn't have labels that made much sense on the terminals. If they had been labelled 'L' , 'N' and 'GND' it would have been easier. Anyway, I am sure you will figure it out. There are some nice sturdy project boxes available too. My local electronics outlet is pretty good about stuff like that. If you don't have one, they do postal service too.

https://www.esr.co.uk/electronics/products/frame_enclosures.htm

I looked on ebay for them - must seemed to have loads of terminals but the one I've bought only had a few, and clearly labelled - L, N, 2 which are obviously for an indicator light, and one labelled Load. That's all.

Daaaamn johnnyboy :shock:. That is a word of warning right there. I've only ever chilled where I boil, and after reading that I think I'll keep it that way!

Most of these are burns injuries from moving hot wort, looks like my new wort chiller cant come soon enough!

You definatlely win jonnyboy! Hopefully there wasn't any real permanent damage but I'm guessing there might have be a few scars (just tell the blokes down the pub it's shrapnel wounds from your tour in 'Nam/Kosovo/Iraq)

This is why I refuse to move my boiling wort anywhere! I got a nasty burn when I was 17 working as a kitchen porter (pulled a tray of potatoes out of the industrial steamer and poured most of the water down my arm), then worked on the rotisserie counter at Asda when I was at uni, and it's made me super wary of hot liquids/foodstuffs!

Latest posts

Back