Brewing with jam

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agentgonzo

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've just finished bottling a strawberry infused wit beer. Talking with a friend, I said I'd put more in and probably use fruit puree instead of whole mashed fruit next time... but then he mentioned jam. Apart from adding _lots_ of sugar, which will make it more alcoholic (not necessarily a bad thing), has anyone (for better or for worse) brewed a beer using jam before? It's certainly a cheapish way to get nice concentrated fruit flavour and colour

Last edited:
Most jam is only about 40% fruit isn’t it, and has additives in it. Had a look on Amazon and 3kg tub is £17 so will contain just over 1kg of fruit.

Fruit purée is £8-£15 for 1kg depending on the fruit/brand from Amazon and is 90%-95% fruit.

SWMBO loves going to Lakeland, the vendors of hideously expensive kitchen Tat. They do cans of Marmalade stuff (~1.6kg) that you add 1.8kg of sugar and some water to and they give you ~6x450g of Marmalade, or 3x900g in the vastly overpriced jars they also sell.

I have added 900g (Big Jar), so 600g of sugar to a Porter (nice, but would have been so anyway) and a couple of times to a Belgian beer like the Patersbeer from the GH book - also good beer, but the recipes are popular enough without. Even to a pale ale with Lemondrop hops - "Oranges and Lemons". Went OK, but as @Sadfield says, fruit puree or frozen fruit may be a better shout, as I am at a loss to see what cooking out is really bringing, other than using up the tons of marmalade..

Remember Drunkula, used to make beer with bird seed, I haven't seen him on here for a while.
Wonder if he fell off the perch?
I feel he may be laying low in a coffin somewhere. Maybe Grimsby. So if you live in Grimsby, leave out some beer as bait, it may distract the monster. Wear a silver cross at night and sleep with a Garlic Clove near at hand.ashock1

Latest posts

Back