Brewmaker Pilsner Lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlunsAle

Reaction score
Planning to start a Brewmaker Pilsner Lager tomorrow and would like some advice. Should I use the yeast that came with the kit, or I have a Muntons Premium Gold Active Yeast spare. Also should I use a Munton Light Spraymalt, Muntons Brewing Sugar or Muntons Beerkit Enhancer ? I plan to make about 35 pints. I am new to home brewing and would like to get off to a good start so am greatful for any advice....Alun

I've not done that particular one, but the only Brewmaker kit I have done was undoubtably the worst kit I've made :-(

Those kits are made by Muntons and, along with many of their other branded products such as Wherry are know to stick, so definately change the yeast
http://www.muntonshomebrew.com/other-products/other-branded-homebrew-kits/

I'd also brew it with spraymalt or enhancer, and brew it short to 35 pints as you suggest.

Hi,

I've got that kit lined up next, started my brewing adventure last night with Coopers European lager/BE2 and after a good start found that I used too much hot water and under estimated how long it takes for the FV to cool down, ready pitch the yeast. So after waiting hours I pitched at 21 degrees with the kit yeast (lager yeast) and some Saflager S23 straight into the FV.

Now in my brew fridge cooled down to about 13 degrees (took about 5 hours apprx. to reduce temperature). I hope it works ok and it wasn't too hot. I'm using the Coopers FV so will also be interesting to see if the Krausen collar works ok.

As Darrel says,swap out the yeast (that's a must), use brew enhancer or spray malt (another must). A hop tea if you can and maybe a dry hop as well. As you've got the kit give it a good shot and you'll certainly end up with a drinkable beer, I'd imagine that once it's conditioned it won't be bad at all.

Two packets of lager yeast, 1.25kg of DME preferably extra light and ferment at 12 DegC , and lager at 0Deg C for some time then bottle you can't put it into a plastic PB.

I was tempted by one of these in Tesco's 1/2 price sale, I have the yeast and intend to mash 2.5Kg of lager malt probably at 68DegC to get some body into it and I'll follow Tasty's fermentation scheduled before lagering and bottling. I'm considering re-refreshing the hops but that's all in the way of modifications.

atb. aamcle

It's fermenting, I mashed 2.5 Kg of grain (84% mash efficiency) and it's now at 12 °C.
I inoculated with 2 packets of W34/70 on Saturday and when it's half way or better to the expected FG I'll be able to start moving the temperature slowly up. That's probably going to be on Friday or Saturday of this week then I'll start ramping up reaching 18°C by the following Thurs/Fri.

aamcle

Many thanks to all who replied.
Started on 10th March using 1kg Muntons spraymalt {light} and used Muntons Premium Gold Active yeast in place of the one provided. OG 1.036.
Bottled on 6th April {27 days in primary} FG 1.OO8. and put into shed.
Put one into the fridge this morning {Sat 06th) not expecting much ...but was really surprised, good looking pint with a good head and carbonation. the taste was really good , if a little sweet. By far the best lager I have done and was tempted to sample a few more but as I have been advised so many times, patience is the name of the game, so will wait to see if it will get even better. Thanks again

Many thanks to all who replied.
Started on 10th March using 1kg Muntons spraymalt {light} and used Muntons Premium Gold Active yeast in place of the one provided. OG 1.036.
Bottled on 6th April {27 days in primary} FG 1.OO8. and put into shed.
Put one into the fridge this morning {Sat 06th) not expecting much ...but was really surprised, good looking pint with a good head and carbonation. the taste was really good , if a little sweet. By far the best lager I have done and was tempted to sample a few more but as I have been advised so many times, patience is the name of the game, so will wait to see if it will get even better. Thanks again

Glad to hear it came out well. I've done brews that didn't, not bad enough to dump but needing a lemonade top to make them palatable. And just as a really good brew seems to go in a jiffy a bad one seems to hang around for ever. The good thing is that your lager wil get better and better the longer you leave it.

Back