Brewzilla 35l maximum abv potential

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liam McDevitt

Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for having me. My first post. I'm thinking of buying a 35litre brewzilla. I've read a few bits on max batch etc but can't find much on max abv the machine can brew. I'm only new to all grain but down the line I'd like to have a go at imperial stouts and dipas. I'm talking 10% and above like the ones I regularly buy. Can the 35l handle this? Or should I go 65l? I think il do a lot of small batch also so any advise appreciated.
Thanks

Hi,
Thanks for having me. My first post. I'm thinking of buying a 35litre brewzilla. I've read a few bits on max batch etc but can't find much on max abv the machine can brew. I'm only new to all grain but down the line I'd like to have a go at imperial stouts and dipas. I'm talking 10% and above like the ones I regularly buy. Can the 35l handle this? Or should I go 65l? I think il do a lot of small batch also so any advise appreciated.
Thanks
You would most likely have to go down the reiterated mash route, depending on target into fermenter.

Hi,
Thanks
I don't own the system but I am sure the 35 litre system can achieve imperial stouts. You may have to adjust to suit, so for an imperial stout you might only get 16 litres for example.
I use Biab which I normally get around 22 litres, for anything that strong I have to reduce my finished volume to around 14 litres depending on grain bill

I own a brewzilla and made my first imperial stout recently. I watched @David Heath "Super Fast Imperial Stout", using lots of homemade inverted sugar coupled with kveik. It turned out amazing, and only took 4-6 weeks to condition.

There's also the option of brewing to, say, 8% and making the rest up with DME and/or some kind of sugar?

i think a lot of imperials have a % of sugar to help with the body and sweetness

I have the 35L Brewmonk which is, I guess, the same as the Brewzilla all-in-one.
I decided to max it out just before Xmas 2020 and managed to get 8.1Kg of grain into the mash.
Used the Brewfather app to determine the mash/ sparge water required.
It made 19L for a Corny keg and the OG was 1.090 before fermentation. I used Mangrove Jacks M41 Belgian Ale yeast which took the gravity down to 1.014 within a week. That works out at 10% ABV.
I did a two stage mash, 60mins at 62C then 60mins at 68 to get max fermentability.
Tastes great just like a Belgian Triple...

I have the 35L Brewmonk which is, I guess, the same as the Brewzilla all-in-one.
I decided to max it out just before Xmas 2020 and managed to get 8.1Kg of grain into the mash.
Used the Brewfather app to determine the mash/ sparge water required.
It made 19L for a Corny keg and the OG was 1.090 before fermentation. I used Mangrove Jacks M41 Belgian Ale yeast which took the gravity down to 1.014 within a week. That works out at 10% ABV.
I did a two stage mash, 60mins at 62C then 60mins at 68 to get max fermentability.
Tastes great just like a Belgian Triple...
Sounds great. Can't wait to try

Im attempting a ten percent brew on Saturday but halving the batch size...only once so far have I gone above 6kg grain and efficiency took a hit (came out 6.8 instead of 8 abv) but it was my third ever all grain and so I'd less of a clue as to what I was doing. If it goes well I will do another but push the limits.

There's a DH pastry stout video using a grainfather whereby he has a few tips for big beers

Latest posts

Back