Brewzilla & Grain Bag

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thoughts on putting the bag in first, then add the malt pipe?
Having said I tried and it didn't work, I tried again yesterday, and it worked really well. This time I put the malt pipe in the grain bag first, then put that in to the brewzilla.
20220706_185127.jpg

20220706_185149.jpg

It certainly caught stuff that would have otherwise ended up in the boiler:
20220706_201733.jpg

I have the Guten same thing, almost. Even though it has a lock in screen the screen could lift when dropping the malt pipe into the kettle. Solution, secure it into position.
Any grain which is outside the malt pipe is there because it fell between the gap of the malt pipe and the kettle. When I stir the wort after the mash to take the PBG if I see any husks in there I just scoop them out, though it is very rare.
I am surprised there is so much debris in the bag pictured above, I would have thought the pump would have dumped anything floating around on to the top of the grain bed while the wort was circulating (had the bag not been there)
Also I can't understand the purpose of running the pump during the boil?
006.JPG

I have the Guten same thing, almost. Even though it has a lock in screen the screen could lift when dropping the malt pipe into the kettle. Solution, secure it into position.
Any grain which is outside the malt pipe is there because it fell between the gap of the malt pipe and the kettle. When I stir the wort after the mash to take the PBG if I see any husks in there I just scoop them out, though it is very rare.
I am surprised there is so much debris in the bag pictured above, I would have thought the pump would have dumped anything floating around on to the top of the grain bed while the wort was circulating (had the bag not been there)
Also I can't understand the purpose of running the pump during the boil?
View attachment 71284
I suspect that during mash it would perhaps sit on the false bottom, but during the boil when the false bottom is dislodged, it will end up underneath, thus being able to block the pump.
I can't speak for others, but I run the pump during the boil for a minute or two to sterilise it prior to whirlpool and/or transfer. I appreciate both of these could be considered non-essential, but since the machine is designed to do these, it would be nice for it to work 👍

I suspect that during mash it would perhaps sit on the false bottom, but during the boil when the false bottom is dislodged, it will end up underneath, thus being able to block the pump.
I can't speak for others, but I run the pump during the boil for a minute or two to sterilise it prior to whirlpool and/or transfer. I appreciate both of these could be considered non-essential, but since the machine is designed to do these, it would be nice for it to work 👍
Initially they weren't designed to run during the boil, early days only the Grainfather had the impeller to run at a higher temperature. Since the introduction of the whirlpool arm have they changed the impeller. Sad really when a paddle can do the job, but it keeps the money moving.

Latest posts

Back