Brexit and grains/hops from Ireland?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The USA is one of the WTO members with which the EU has neither a trade agreement or preferential access. We don't have trade arrangements with the USA, other than via the WTO, because the EU don't have trade arragements with the USA. We would have if TTIP had been ratified, but it wasn't, so if/when we leave we will still be trading with the USA under exactly the same rules as we currently do, so nothing will change.

great explanation, :hat:so regardless of whether we stay or go our us hops should cost the same. athumb..

Because I think, as I mention, some good information for members to use to decide whether they may want to stock up on ingredients. Rather than the thread being a political discussion or a members opinions on Brexit.

myqul - athumb.. common sense prevails -please spread it around ;) we need more of it in this world.

Thanks McQul I started the post and my third post did thank people for not taking it off piste anyway I have spent 2 hours updating my inventory on Brewers Friend so I can see what I need to order enabling me to brew through until christmas with no worries of poor supply and delivery

No it does not have to be a Common as common sense prevails could mean its a reasonable ABV Christmas Brew (sorry I said that "C" word)

or 'Christmas light' an unseasonably un-indulgent ale.
or 'sensible santa' - he has a sleight to ride.

I think i'll have to look at what supplies I need for the next few brews and get an order in. Although there are so many different types of beer to brew I can always swap the order around. If you regularly brew the same beer and those ingredients are at risk then it would be an idea to get some in before the 31st. Note that to be safe it would be best to ensure they are already in the UK before 31st.

I missed the boat on star-san but then I have half a bottle left athumb..

Last edited:
I'm on a closed FB UK Beer and Brewing professionals (Yeah, How TF did I get in,,,, :rolleyes:) anyway no B words on there. Just the friendly practicalities and banter of brewing day to day. Great stuff! So, If they'r not worried neither am I clapa

Ooooo, an interesting thought though buying bulk products from breweries. I might try that! Cheers

Getting back to the OP - not everything imported on WTO rules get tarrifs applied. I think there is a cut-off point around about £100 in value that they don't bother with. Case in point I've bought a couple of flutes from the USA in the past. One was about £90 and had tarrif applied. The tarrif was about £8 but what was really annoying was that the post office doubled it for the priviledge of handling the item. Strangely the second one I got was £110 and was just delivered with no tarrif, and no other charges either.
So it's possible that a 25Kg sack plus a few grains and hops could come well under the cut off point.

I think the best we can hope for is that online HBS do their best to stay competitive but remain fair to their customers, whilst not ripping the **** out of their profit margins. But nobody knows what is going to happen or how far reaching the consequences will be. We know about as much now as we did 3 years ago.

Worth bearing in mind that the current betting has a 30% chance of some kind of Brexit this year, and 15% chance of no-deal Brexit.

The tariffs are not the real concern, it's more the fact that our entire trade system will bung up, and any trade brokers, customs people etc who normally deal with hops from Australia or yeast from the US, will instead get reassigned to processing medicine from France or water-treatment chemicals from Germany.

Plus the paperwork will vastly increase, potentially making small transactions unviable. If we're not in a customs union then each "consignment" will need a customs declaration which will cost £20-55 to process, there can be 2000 consignments on a single truck. Which will be good for the guys moving stuff in bulk, but some truckers are talking about just giving up rather than deal with the increased bureaucracy.

I have bought stuff from China for less than £2 (inc. postage) which has a customs declaration sticker attached.

Reading all the above, it looks like there shouldn't be a problem with malt. The UK is a net exporter of malting barley and some of the usual continental markets are not buying it because they're expecting to have to pay tariffs so there should be a glut. British malt is good, even lager and pilsner malt. There's nothing special about Weyermann their catalogue seems to indicate their main business is bread flour. Continental hops could be dearer. Who supplies our suppliers with US hops and yeast ? Do they deal direct or do they come in via Europe. Similarly, who imports the Chinese stainless steel ware that passes for US stuff= SS Brewtech for example? I think it's a Belgian company who gets a container at a time.
I've stocked up as it's much cheaper to get just about everything from Ireland even after carriage is added than it is from France or Belgium. Not worried about stuff going off as even milled malt lasts for years if kept properly.
I think it would be a good idea if Malt Miller, Brew UK, HBC etc told us straight which of its US products come to them via the European mainland. I would guess everything!

I did quite like the Viking malt, but now have moved to Voyager Malt, yeast, I didn't think I would ever go past Fermentis SO4, but have been using CN 36 and in my opinion even better, I have asked for a price for 5 kg, $80 USD plus shipping!

I did quite like the Viking malt, but now have moved to Voyager Malt, yeast, I didn't think I would ever go past Fermentis SO4, but have been using CN 36 and in my opinion even better, I have asked for a price for 5 kg, $80 USD plus shipping!

Why stock up on so much yeast? I'd just over build starters

Back