Bri's AG 1

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,
thought i'd start this thread the eve of brew day in prep for the big day.
spent today looking at the kit and playing with jugs :shock: to get my volumes sorted with deadspaces etc.
hoping to have a few pics from tomorrow if I am not flapping too much and final data of the brew.
so catch you all tomorrow at some stage. :pray:
ATB
Bri

Top tip (apart from close all taps ) is add 2 or 3 litres more than you think , for me i need 36 litres to get 23 back

pittsy said:
Top tip (apart from close all taps ) is add 2 or 3 litres more than you think , for me i need 36 litres to get 23 back

Yeah mate, been getting some right top tips over the last week or so.
I was looking at 32+L with all my deadspace etc.
gonna see how she goes and then I can guage it for my second one...not done it so fly sparging is gonna be fun lol
ATB
Bri

Good luck with tomorrow, although it's always good to see photos concentrate on making great beer first and foremost.

dennisking said:
Good luck with tomorrow, although it's always good to see photos concentrate on making great beer first and foremost.

Lol
Was thinking that myself....I'm gonna enjoy it, been waiting long enough jus plodding away researching etc.
Now double checking everything from brew mate to the guides on here... :pray:
Catchya tomorrow
ATB
Bri

Enjoy your day. It's a good idea to take notes of everything you do so you can either 1) repeat it or 2) you will know what to adjust for next time as you learn your kit or 3) we can help diagnose if you have any problems or questions :thumb:

Thx guys
Ya legends ;) my notepad is chocca block with my feeble scribbles and workings out :D
I've worked out dead space for everything n stuff and now going through my mind each process.
Was awake at 4am and the processes was the first into my head...... :grin:
Now gonna try and watch a bit tv but bet my mind wanders back to my brewing.
B4 I forget I'm a bit concerned about brewing in the kitchen with steam so looking at any alternative...but I reckon it's gonna rain so indoors it goes and try and fan the steam out of the door or window :pray:
ATB
Bri

Good luck mate, i did my first AG about 10 days ago, had a sneaky taste yesterday and it tastes great, so much more complex and fresh than the kits i had being doing previously and alot more satisfaction to boot. Hope things go well for you.

Btw, if you haven't seen it already, there is a 'First AG brew' guide in the How To Do section of the forum by BrewStew, i found it a really useful overview before i started my first AG brew.

Let us know how you get on. :cheers:

My advice is to just relax and take it easy. If AG#1 doesn't go to plan it most likely still taste great and you'll learn from any mistakes you make on the way.

Edit: and don't forget some pics and a report on here to let us know how you get on

Mark H said:
Good luck mate, i did my first AG about 10 days ago, had a sneaky taste yesterday and it tastes great, so much more complex and fresh than the kits i had being doing previously and alot more satisfaction to boot. Hope things go well for you.

Btw, if you haven't seen it already, there is a 'First AG brew' guide in the How To Do section of the forum by BrewStew, i found it a really useful overview before i started my first AG brew.

Let us know how you get on. :cheers:

Thx buddy,
I would like to know how many times I've looked at Brewstew's guide even today lol...
Getting the hydrometer reading on fly sparging to 0.990 was throwing me a bit but I hope by the time I get that reading I'll have around 27+L :pray: ready for the boil...
So much advice and encouragement on here it's making me rare to go!
Funny that it was a week tomorrow since I was at Fil's checking out my kit and having 4 hrs of pure brew lessons n a cheeky try of his ale :drink:
Now trying to close my eyes since 4am...knaaaa! Just a quick go over again of tomorrow's brew day...bit like counting sheep but better..bet I fall asleep at fly sparging :lol:
Cheers again
ATB
Bri

Steve said:
My advice is to just relax and take it easy. If AG#1 doesn't go to plan it most likely still taste great and you'll learn from any mistakes you make on the way.

Edit: and don't forget some pics and a report on here to let us know how you get on

Hallow Steve,
I've a lil feeling I'll not get everything spot on...only due to getting used to the kit, temperatures, volumes n all the other stuff when I start flapping like hell :lol:
Yeah mate pics n a report incoming worts n all ;)
ATB
Bri

Don't u just hate getting to nearly the end of your thread and adding pics when Windows decide to shut down to do updates all by itself...... :cry: :evil: :twisted:
So now I'm gonna do the whole brew day experience either later on or in the morning...Wounded.
to say it went fantastic and surprisingly to the Volumes without major probs makes me a happy chappy :thumb:
So either catch you all ron or in the morning,been a mad n exiting brew wednesday :D
ATB
Bri

yay well done.....welcome to the dark side of beer making.

Well done, glad you enjoyed it :cheers:

Another cherry popped, welcome to the darkside :thumb:

Congrats! :cheers: look forward to reading/ seeing about it. Makes me excited about the (inevitable) step up which is albeit a long way off.

Back