British Golden Ale 12a

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matty1974

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have just brewed the above and its currently fermenting nicely, can someone tell me is it possible for me to add 400g of honey to this fermenting Ale and turn it into a golden honey ale?

I was thinking of adding it around the 6 day fermentation stage by boiling some water and adding the honey to it then add the solution to the FV using a funnel via the airlock bung?

Is this a good idea or should i leave it alone?

Cheers

Matt

Last edited:
Hi Matt. Yes this should work just make sure the funnel is sterile as well to avoid infection and try not to splash it as oxygen at that point will harm the beers taste

Hi All,

I have just brewed the above and its currently fermenting nicely, can someone tell me is it possible for me to add 400g of honey to this fermenting Ale and turn it into a golden honey ale?

I was thinking of adding it around the 6 day fermentation stage by boiling some water and adding the honey to it then add the solution to the FV using a funnel via the airlock bung?

Is this a good idea or should i leave it alone?

Cheers

Matt
If you are going to add honey to any beer first thing to establish is that it is genuine honey and not flavoured corn sugar. Second it needs to be a distinctive tasting honey for any flavour to come through. Leather Wood or Blue Gum would be my choice. No need to add water lower the viscosity by placing a jar in a simmering pot of water before adding it to fermenter or the boil.
The SRM for a golden ale is pretty low either 8 or 6 off the top of my head, honey will bring colour with it.
Is it a good idea or should you leave it alone? Up to you but my choice would be to leave alone.
Golden ale is more about the hops, save the honey for something else.

What honey have you got? 400g in a 23L batch isn't that much from a flavour point so you may not notice it. Unless it's something like heather honey then you should get some good aroma. Adding the boiling water should help to sanitise the honey (if it needs it) but I'd not keep it hot for long or you'll lose aroma.

What's in the beer you've made?

Latest posts

Back