Broken hydrometre

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cask is best

Landlord.
Reaction score
While getting my keg ready for my brew this morning i put it on a draining board and straight onto the top of my hydrometer and the top about one eighth of an inch broke off. Do i need to buy a new one or will this still be fine.

Regards.
cib

Probably won't make much difference assuming you've still got enough left to read the FG of whatever you're likely to brew. Stick it in some water and see if it reads 1000 (again, assuming you have this much left on the scale).

I would have thought that if some has broken off the it won't be weighted properly and thus give inaccurate readings. I would get a new one for the sake of £3.

Good points guys.
Ill stick it in some water like Johhnymorris says. All the readings are still there but as.

Carl_saint yeh it might effect the buoyancy.

Mark1964. yeah could be issues with sterilised problems.

Anyway I'll stick it in some water and get a reading see what it says and i need to take a reading of the wife's cider tomorrow so will probably get a new one weekend.I'll see how it goes

Cheers all

It will be 100% fine so long as the water or wort etc does not enter at the top and enter it....and sterilise it with a tissue soaked in cleaner/steriliser solution will suffice if u really need to use it in an emergency...

Hydrometers work by displacement of THE LIQUID they are immersed into...ie they float just like a boat! :D ...if you have a sealed top on a boat or not it wont effect its original displacement properties... its the same with hydrometers....i would use it for now but arrange a replacement as anything can now affect the broken one ..including condensation on the inside, debris/dust etc....and as mentioned its not very practical to handle or sterilise...but yes it will work exactly the same as an ordinary unbroken one so long as the break is at the very top and doesn't sink below the substance you are measuring! :thumb:

daveb said:
Hydrometers work by displacement of THE LIQUID they are immersed into...

Not wishing to be pedantic but I think the point is that if the hydrometer has less mass it will displace a lesser (and equivalent) mass of liquid (and therefore be out of calibration with the scale). I suspect however that the bit that's broken off will be relatively insignificant in terms of the overall mass of the hydrometer.

jonnymorris said:
daveb said:

Not wishing to be pedantic but I think the point is that if the hydrometer has less mass it will displace a lesser (and equivalent) mass of liquid (and therefore be out of calibration with the scale). I suspect however that the bit that's broken off will be relatively insignificant in terms of the overall mass of the hydrometer.

But will have an effect all the same!
Again, I would replace ASAP as it will give an incorrect reading!

I suggest there's probably more error in your reading where the surface hits the scale vs the fact its a tiny bit less massive.

Having said that, for the sake of £3...

jonnymorris said:
daveb said:

Your very correct in pointing that out thank you.......yes it will have an effect...the resulting lower weight will mean the hydrometer will float slightly higher though i doubt it will be significant compared to the lead/metal balls in the main cavity..but thank you for mentioning that and 10 out of 10 sir for spotting something i forgot lol!..thank you!. :thumb:

i think its an important piece of kit for a home brewer and they dont cost the earth i would be more inclined to just get another.

Latest posts

Back