Brown Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumpton

Regular.
Reaction score
I am looking at doing a Brown Ale.

seen 2 on theMarket:

Northumberland Brown Ale
John Bull Brown Ale

Any experiences / preferences ?

Also I have heard that these can be a little on the thin side so any experience of using a dry malt with these?

I love Newcastle brown so would appreciate any experiences on how to try and get a similar result

Cheers

:cheers:

Well a good one won't be thin but you don't often see a good one.
Rather than cloning Newkie, I'd be Googling for recipes to make something like Lancaster Bomber or Vaux Double Maxim or Sam Smith's Nut Brown

oldbloke said:
Well a good one won't be thin but you don't often see a good one.
Rather than cloning Newkie, I'd be Googling for recipes to make something like Lancaster Bomber or Vaux Double Maxim or Sam Smith's Nut Brown

I'm not sure OB but looking at the choices I think Plumpton could be looking at Brown Ale kits. Not brewed one myself so can't comment on those but if im wrong and you are looking for a nice brown ale recipe you could try this one FFF BROWN ALE it was a rather nice beer even if I say so myself.

snail59 said:
I'm not sure OB but looking at the choices I think Plumpton could be looking at Brown Ale kits.
That's how I read it too :thumb:
plumpton said:
I love Newcastle brown so would appreciate any experiences on how to try and get a similar result
Can't be an AG brewer if his standards are that low ;)

Like Snail, I have never brewed a brown ale kit and can't comment on those mentioned, but adding extra malt extract to a budget kit brew does make a big improvement. Sugar adds nothing to a brew except for alcohol, and can make budget kits seem thin.

Spraymalt isn't an exact 1:1 substitution, so in place of 1kg sugar you should probably use 500g spraymalt + 550g sugar to get the same Original Gravity.

I did a NBA clone which came pretty close to the original, so if you are looking at all-grain at any point:

Brew length 19L
4200g Maris Otter
60g Crystal malt
60g Chocolate malt
30g Black malt

25g Target @ 90mins
15g East Kent Goldings @ 45mins

Yeast S-04

OG 1051
FG 1013
IBU 26
ABV 5%

I used S-04 but I think the original clone said to use wyeast 1098.

For a kit, I guess go with what you've said but maybe switch the yeast for 1098? Not really sure so won't advise further on messing with kits :)

C.

I read it as "I've seen these two kits but [might] want to mod them to make it more like Newkie".
Somebody clever ought to do a "what's really in kit X" list.

oldbloke said:
I read it as "I've seen these two kits but [might] want to mod them to make it more like Newkie".
Somebody clever ought to do a "what's really in kit X" list.

:thumb:

Now that would be great, as I've done a few kits in my earlier brewing life that I'd love to know exactly what went into them. I've thought if its this good as a kit, it must be exceptional as a partial mash or all grain! :)

Thanks for the replies, always good to trigger a bit of discussion.

Yeah I am still a kit brewer at present but am looking at attending the January Mashing session at Homebrewshop in Aldershot.

If that goes well then i might get more adventurous.

:)

I guess kits dont tell you the ingredients so they are not copied but its a shame.

:cheers:

I have 40 bottles of Northumberland Brown Ale which I have just started tucking into, they are around 8 weeks old and I must say its a cracking brew, so much so Im looking to brew another.

I have also given afew bottles to a friend of mind and he also commented on how good it is.

:drink:

if you live nearby I will swap you a couple of bottles of Brooon for some of my Norfolk Nog.

Back