Bubba Keg - 12litre keg from ASDA. Anyone tried them?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polymath

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Was down ASDA today on the suggestion from a friend. They are selling these :

http://direct.asda.com/Bubba-Keg-11.4-L ... lt,pd.html

Seems quite good, nice size for taking to a party etc. Also with my beer brews coming to 23 litres, I could keg it into two of these fine creatures.

I do have a few concerns
- Firstly its strange that ASDA are selling this in isolation (No other homebrew goods with it ...)
- Secondly i'm not sure how it would handle pressure (No release valve)

Anyone tried it, or got any feedback on these. Considering getting some this weekend if the reviews are good :D

I'm reading that as a rather large party drinks chiller for short-term storage and dispensing, but doubt if it would handle any pressure whatsoever.

Moley & Snail59 are right on this...

I went to our local ASDA on SAT with the memsaib and clapped eyes on them all they are is large over grown coolers made to look like a proper barrel....don't waste you spon-doollies on them...the top has two lugs that you line up and then give it a turn to lock in place....but there's no way they would take any pressure what so ever...your hard crafted brown nectar would go as flat as a witch's tit in no time

Buy a proper pressure barrel for another £5.....

BarnsleyBrewer said:
Might be ok as a mash tum :hmm:
BB

Not a bad idea B B... I must have been tired last night..too much time in the garden

Come to think...there may have been a drain plug????? I got the idea you pop in a couple of 4 packs & fill with ice....could well work out as a mash tun....will have to have another gander at them.

Just had another look at the link they do have a drain.

You might get away with 2.5 - 3kg of grain in 6-7 litres of liquor, extract 15 litres, boil that down to 12, is it worth the effort?

Well thanks for the feedback guys, I don't think I will be buying one.As mentioned earlier, it would be better to pay another £5 and get a proper beer keg with pressure values and fluffy dice. Cheers all :D

Latest posts

Back