Buckwheat Malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can buy Malted Buckwheat from here....

https://www.londonbeerlab.com/grains/crisp-buckwheat-malt---100-g
(i bought some last year to try to approximate a Bier de ble Noir...but no real idea what I was approximating to as I'd never sampled a commercial example and was literally going by what I was reading on the web and the pictures I saw.

I originally bought some buckwheat from a supermarket and malted it....but the roasting process would have taken ages for the amount I was wanting to put in a beer so sought out a supplier...took me ages to find the above but no issues ordering from them.

You can buy Malted Buckwheat from here....

https://www.londonbeerlab.com/grains/crisp-buckwheat-malt---100-g
(i bought some last year to try to approximate a Bier de ble Noir...but no real idea what I was approximating to as I'd never sampled a commercial example and was literally going by what I was reading on the web and the pictures I saw.

I originally bought some buckwheat from a supermarket and malted it....but the roasting process would have taken ages for the amount I was wanting to put in a beer so sought out a supplier...took me ages to find the above but no issues ordering from them.

Ahh thanks! The recipe I found actually says Buckwheat or Buckwheat malt, i've already got Buckwheat on order so i'll try that first. Looking at my recipe though, i'm not sure it's going to have the Diastatic Power to achieve 1060 odd...., think I might have to up the base malt. 🤔

Ahh thanks! The recipe I found actually says Buckwheat or Buckwheat malt, i've already got Buckwheat on order so i'll try that first. Looking at my recipe though, i'm not sure it's going to have the Diastatic Power to achieve 1060 odd...., think I might have to up the base malt. 🤔
It can be used at 100% of the grain bill to produce gluten-free beer, but you need to add amylase to the mash as buckwheat has little or no diastatic power. My bottle is labelled amyloglucosidase, but different suppliers have different names for it. On the other hand, all the buckwheat beers I've come across here use malted barley as the main part of the grist. I would think you'd be ok by using up to 30% of buckweat to a mash with pale or pilsner malt. Same as any other unmalted adjunct, like oats, for example.

I used 30% Malted Buckwheat in a 6.7kg mash and achieved 1.060

Back