Buckwheat Malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I was looking at Historical beer recipes and stumbled upon this one. It's probably not an accurate representation of a historical beer but I quite fancied doing it anyway... however i'm a bit stuck on Buckwheat Malt... I notice you can get Buckwheat from wholefood shops, would this work?

Soet Bier, 1683

This looks promising maybe?

Buy Wholefoods Online | Whole foods UK | Organic Foods | Health Foods

Thanks in advance!

Yes, should be fine. I've used supermarket buckwheat in the past. It has a rustic, almost goaty flavour. From checking in a Randy Mosher book, toasting or roasting it makes it more palatable, which might be more in line with the malted buckwheat.

It's not difficult to find buckwheat beers here in Brittany where it's know nas blé noir or sarrasin. I don't know whether it's malted or, indeed, whether it can be malted as it's not a cereal. I must say, I don't like it in beers very much.

What don't you like about it?
Don't get me wrong, most often when we go out for lunch we have a galette, which is a big, thin crêpe or pankake made almost entirely of sarrasin and filled with all sorts of goodies and then folded into a square. Lovely. I just don't like it in beer; it's just me, there's nothing wrong with it, I suppose, otherwise it wouldn't sell. Having said that, most Breton beers are pretty **** anyway.
Apart from An Ankoù, of course. And Lancelot make some decent beers and some less than decent.

Don't get me wrong, most often when we go out for lunch we have a galette, which is a big, thin crêpe or pankake made almost entirely of sarrasin and filled with all sorts of goodies and then folded into a square. Lovely. I just don't like it in beer; it's just me, there's nothing wrong with it, I suppose, otherwise it wouldn't sell. Having said that, most Breton beers are pretty **** anyway.
Apart from An Ankoù, of course. And Lancelot make some decent beers and some less than decent.

What sort of taste does it impart? Impart.. is that the right word? Can't be arsed to check...😀

Until you've tried it, it something you haven't tasted before.
Same could be said about Stilton... I quite like it but many don't...

Give it a go. The worst that could happen is you lose an afternoon and a fermenter for a couple weeks. And if some says they don't like it you can tell them it's an acquired taste!

Same could be said about Stilton... I quite like it but many don't...

Give it a go. The worst that could happen is you lose an afternoon and a fermenter for a couple weeks. And if some says they don't like it you can tell them it's an acquired taste!

Defo, am in no way put off, just wanted to see what flavour an thought ge got from it. And also to see if the buckwheat you get from wholefood shops is suitable. 👍

It's difficult with this type of thing, a lot of it comes down to yeast selection. If you take a 100% pale malt wort and ferment it with 20 different yeasts you'll end up with 20 different beers. Add an uncommon adjunct to that and it becomes even less predictable.

Just make a half batch and see if you like it. If you don't, somebody will.
Wish I was close enough to send you a bottle of dremmwel or tellen du.

It's difficult with this type of thing, a lot of it comes down to yeast selection. If you take a 100% pale malt wort and ferment it with 20 different yeasts you'll end up with 20 different beers. Add an uncommon adjunct to that and it becomes even less predictable.

Quite right, i've bought CML general ale yeast (which i've never used before) and 50g saaz. 2.5 kg Buckheat and some aniseed from wholefood shops. Lets see what happens!

People that eat mouldy cheese should be shot. FACT.
Good luck, we're full of penicillin.

terminator-terminator2.gif

Quite right, i've bought CML general ale yeast (which i've never used before) and 50g saaz. 2.5 kg Buckheat and some aniseed from wholefood shops. Lets see what happens!
You'll need to put some diastatic malt with it, pale or pilsner, as it's about 75% starch as far as I can make out.

Back