Buffalo cutting out

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morebeer

Reaction score
I have only used my new 40lt buffalo boiler once and the thing kept cutting out before it reached a rolling boil. It then worked ok after stiring vigorously over the centre where the element is. I would like to disconnect the cut out but electrigory isn't something I fully understand. Anybody tried bypassing the cut out? I know there is a thread on Jim's website but the buffalo there is an older model and the cut out and wiring are different. :hmm:

Any advice will be much appreciated as I plan to do my 2nd brew this saturday (the 1st was used to water my young fruit trees as it never actually started fermenting and I gave up after 3 weeks. :wha:

:cheers:

I had buffalo problems yesterday - the thermal fuse blew midway through the boil, so not quite the same problem as you're having, but possibly the same cause.

I think the ventilation under my boiler was insufficient - it was standing on cardboard - a soft, insulating material - on top of chipboard - another insulator. It needs to be on hard, non-insulating material to allow good flow of cool air to the small holes under the boiler, else the compartment with the electrics in gets too hot. My blown thermal fuse was rated at 144C, and was not in contact with the element. It must've been pretty warm in there!

It would be better to fix the cause than to bypass a safety mechanism, if possible.

Definitely practise with water first!

thirdlight said:
I think the ventilation under my boiler was insufficient - it was standing on cardboard - a soft, insulating material - on top of chipboard - another insulator. It needs to be on hard, non-insulating material to allow good flow of cool air to the small holes under the boiler, else the compartment with the electrics in gets too hot. My blown thermal fuse was rated at 144C, and was not in contact with the element. It must've been pretty warm in there!

that's an interesting thought. I've not had any bother with mine except last brew when it cut out once for about 2 mins and was then ok for the rest of the boil. This was after I'd insulated with a camping mat to speed up heating times. Mine has always been used inside on top of a gas hob or outside clamped to the top of a Workmate - both of these would give plenty of ventilation to the area underneath...wondering if it might be worth drilling some extra ventilation holes in the bottom bit of the boiler :hmm:

I think I'll add a few holes to the sides of the bottom shroud - get a bit of flow!

Back