Building a one pot RIMs system

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@JonBrew Glad to hear the pizza tray will work. Good luck with your own build.

I've heard several people raise concerns about wort clarity and vorlaufing with BIAB. Personally wort clarity has never been a big concern of mine. I lift the bag and squeeze the hell out of it to get as much wort as possible out. My beers can be a little hazy sometimes but I think this is usually related to the quantity of dry hops that I often use.

I get around the bag problem by "breaking" the BIAB rules. I drain the kettle into an FV bucket, sparge, drain again, then remove the bag.

The usual way to a sparge and what I did was just to lift, squeeze and dunk the bag in a bucket of water. I found it a bit messy the bag tended to drip all over the place but it's easy enough and it works.

Aamcle

Here is a link for a PT100. I bought a large BAG for about £20. I looked at baskets but a bag can be held tight with a bungy cord and is easy to clean. Just make sure it does not rest on the plate and that the output is clear.
Hang the bag on a hook over a FV and it will drain itself.

Here is a link for a PT100. I bought a large BAG for about £20. I looked at baskets but a bag can be held tight with a bungy cord and is easy to clean. Just make sure it does not rest on the plate and that the output is clear.
Hang the bag on a hook over a FV and it will drain itself.
Thanks Beercat, I have a PT100 and I'm going to give the bag a go. I've never had an issue with the bag contacting the element until I used the pump. Hopefully the pizza tray will solve that.

I do have a hook above the kettle for draining but due to the low height of the shed roof the bag doesn't completely clear the wort until I've twisted it up and squeezed it out.

Back