Bulldog Malt Mill

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hops_and_Dreams

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just ordered one of these - it's my birthday in a couple of weeks and present ideas normally revolve around beer making these days. SWMBO doesn't even question seemingly dull presents anymore.

Anyone got one? I like the idea of having freshly crushed grain on brewday, as I often have bags of pre crushed malt laying about for a couple of months. I'd also like to increase my efficiency from 60-65% that I get now. Any recommendations on gap adjustment too?

Cheers.

I've got one of these and love it!
No more pre crushed grain slowly losing potential, lovely fresh grain every morning on brewdays!

A couple of things I found...

Get a drill! It takes a minute to crush all your grain with a drill, instead of ten minutes of sweating and you arms falling off.

Crush outside, you create a lot of dust that covers the kitchen.

My efficiency jumped up by 10% after buying one of these.

Get a drill...!

Oh, gap adjustment.
In 'Malt' it says to set the gap so that the kernel in broken into no more than three or four pieces.
Basically you want the endosperm smashed to bits but the kernels almost intact.
I set it once and have left it since, no issues with stuck mashes yet.

Thanks for the reply. I have that book, should have looked first!

I have a mains powered drill, I guess that may be a bit of overkill?! I could do with the exercise though, so I'll see how it goes.

Yeah I'm looking forward to not being tied to the only base malt I have or having to use old malt.

Ordered a couple of types of uncrushed to test it with too.

I also have one of these "Xmas Prezzie", I run mine off the cordless drill, even doing that takes quite a while, would hate to have to do it by hand.

+1 on the dust getting everywhere

A mains drill might work if you have speed control on it, my mains drill doesn't and I had a face full of grains and dust! Now I use my little 10v cordless and it's spot on.

Latest posts

Back