Bulletproof mash schedule

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have any husks or hulls at home, so unless there's something else I would have around the kitchen that would help, I might be better off brewing the Red Brick Rye kit that I have instead. Although can't rye get a bit sticky too...

How much rye? Also with a good protein rest you might get away with the wheat beer. Dunno, have only done the one myself.

I used a step mash on a recent Helles style and got way over my efficiency turned out 5.8 not 4.8!) and as I was using a Grainfather it was simply a matter of including the steps in the recipe creator.

I know we don't 'need' to do it but experimentation is part of the process and fun. Will I do it again? Yeah why not but when I redo this particular recipe I'll omit the step mash and see if I get the same overshoot on the efficiency. Any excuse to have the Helles on tap again!

Exactly that :)

I'll never stray from the way I normally make beer, but it would be nice to make some "palatable" low carb beer sometime that doesn't make my blood sugar shoot up.
Another T1 sort here! A quest for low carbs is part of the excuse I gave myself for getting into mixed fermentations. Gotta keep pushing that FG down!

Of course, I don't listen to the part of my brain that tells me that the OG can also be pushed down :)

Another T1 sort here! A quest for low carbs is part of the excuse I gave myself for getting into mixed fermentations. Gotta keep pushing that FG down!

Of course, I don't listen to the part of my brain that tells me that the OG can also be pushed down :)
So there's two of usacheers.

Oh, I never knew that OG could be brought down? I was assuming that it was a legal mandate to have OG's at a minimum of 1.050!?athumb..

Would be good to recreate something like Holsten Pils. I remember drinking that once a few summers ago, think I had aabout 6 or 7 tins and BG was under 10mmol/L without any insulin, was quite pleased with that. Three or four draft lagers in the pub and it's another story entirely!

I wonder what the OG and FG of a Holsten Pils would be?

So there's two of usacheers.

Oh, I never knew that OG could be brought down? I was assuming that it was a legal mandate to have OG's at a minimum of 1.050!?athumb..

Would be good to recreate something like Holsten Pils. I remember drinking that once a few summers ago, think I had aabout 6 or 7 tins and BG was under 10mmol/L without any insulin, was quite pleased with that. Three or four draft lagers in the pub and it's another story entirely!

I wonder what the OG and FG of a Holsten Pils would be?
Not had Holsten Pils in years! Would be interested to see the numbers for it though.

I'm also tempted to try a Brut IPA. They finish in the region of FG 1.000

Not had Holsten Pils in years! Would be interested to see the numbers for it though.

I'm also tempted to try a Brut IPA. They finish in the region of FG 1.000
Yeah me too, heard good things about them.

I have a sachet of "beer enzyme" in the fridge, it's amalyse which is meant to break up unfermentables in the FV to get you down to 1.000 or even below. Supposed to work really well when combined with a step mashed wort.

A 4% brew from an OG of 1.020 potentially, I'll take that! Mouthfeel is meant to be super dry though, so guess you'd have to keep IBU's quite low maybe?

Latest posts

Back