Bullion Hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewRubha

Reaction score
I have just been given 100g of Bullion Hops by a brewer. Was told that it is a variety that was popular up until the 80s then went out of favour. Has anyone any advice on how to use these. Bittering, late addition, dry hop. What are the characteristics? I assume they were an English hop? Checked online suppliers, but none seem to stock it so no info there. AA hand written as 7.6 on vacuum pack. Would love to give them a go ....but in what and when?

I understand they were a bittering hop and quite prized in stouts. I think I read somewhere that Guinness used to use them. If they're coming back on the market I'm going to get some myself.
So: bittering in a dry stout would seem to be a good start.

A bit of Googling later and there is only one grower left. Hukins Hops....explains the lack of Bullion in HBS. Seems they are better in darker beers as An Ankou says but are marketed as an aroma hop due to dark fruit character. A lot of conflicting information on the interweb!!!

a little further info with a little googling
Clear 'New World' characteristics producing a zesty, spicy flavour with predominantly dark red fruit notes. It has a strong flavour when used for dry hopping which some consider to be harsh. Often used for darker beers.
I looked in the British Real Ale book by Graham Wheeler hoping to find some recipes with them in alas no

Not sure why an historically well regarded hop fell out of favour? Possibly availability of New World hops? Itching to try it in an ale but would love some experienced advice first!!!!

Back