Burco Cygnet quality?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slackman99

Reaction score
I'm looking to progress from an 18l pot on the stove to something that can net me 20l into the FV and avoid dealing with excessive condensation in the house.

Would like to keep things as cheap as possible and was wondering what the Burco Cygnet is like quality wise? It'll be getting shifted round the house/garden/garage loads as I don't have much storage so was wondering what the metal thickness is like on the main body? Is it thick enough to resist denting or warping? I saw a boiler the other day where the whole body/wall flexed when the tap was opened as the metal was so thin.

I BIAB so understand that whilst it's not got the most accurate thermostat, I can get up to mash temperature and it'll keep it in the general region of that. I'll probably add some insulation of some sort to help with that.

Looking to go as simple as possible, so BIAB, will probably no chill in the FV

Getting a decent sized (3kw) induction hob is pretty expensive isn't it, particularly when you then throw in a big induction capable pot. I would think it would be a minimum of £200 vs £90 for the Burco

Mine is 2kw (after a bit of advice from here) and while S/H, it only cost me £40. The pot was less than £50. Again not new but complete with tap I reckon its a good set up. The induction hob is really good at controlling the temps.

Ok, well that's a lot less than I was expecting. Is 2kw ok for getting 25-27l up to a rolling boil?

I have had a Burco Cygnet 30 litre size for about 2-3 years with virtually no issues that were not my own doing...!

As for wall thickness - no big dents or warping so far (and I am relatively careless with most things...!!

I would certainly go for the larger 30 liter one as you can always make smaller brews , but the 20 litre one will be limited if you wish to go big.
The only problem I have had is burn on to the element - as this item has a element designed for fast water boiling - it can sometimes scorch the wort. If you do intend to BIAB in the boiler - beware of hot spots underneath your bag.

There are other tea urns out there - but so far my Cygnet has had plenty of use and is a easy way into all grain without breaking the bank.

All the best,
David.

I’ve also got a 30 litre cygnet as well and it is good quality, very solid, would recommend it. Tap needs replacing really, but there is a video on how to do this and the bits you need

Hmmm food for thought so thanks everyone. Sounds like the Cygnet would be ideal for what i'm after. Part of me is intrigued with an induction hob and large 35l kettle. Could have a go at brew in a bag, no chill and ferment in a kettle which would allow me to brew on a working from home day.....hmmmm :)

Latest posts

Back