Burco Cygnet scorching problem

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynx Brewery

Reaction score
I’ve brewed all grain beers since restarting Home Brew last summer. All was going well with brewing in a bag in my Cygnet. I did have one cut out when the bag probably touched the bottom of the Burco.

I’ve had no other problems until my last two brews.

Brew 33 on 21 May was the James Morton “Quaffable Bitter”. I mashed in at just 48 degrees celsius but after 10 minutes the Burco made some odd bubbling noises and had cut out. After 30 minutes to empty, reset, clean all the burnt crud & refill, I started again, raising the temperature to 56 degrees. Within 10 minutes, the Burco had cut out again. (Another half hour of emptying, resetting, etc.)

Brew 34 on 28 May was the Greg Hughes “New England IPA”.

Mashed in again at 48 degrees and within 10 minutes it had cut out again. 🙁. Another delay to empty, reset, clean & refill. It didn’t do it again thankfully and other than a very poor brew house efficiency, the rest of the brew went well

I’m using the same base malt as previous brews but I’m now using a grain basket and a pump to recirculate (rather than a bag). I’m just a bit stumped as to why the Burco keeps cutting out.

Any advice or suggestions would be most welcome.

This was the bottom of the Burco.

Attachments

• 3DFC41B7-1014-486B-8DED-9628140ADD92.jpeg
    3DFC41B7-1014-486B-8DED-9628140ADD92.jpeg
    45 KB · Views: 50
These were the glutinous lumps at the bottom.

Attachments

• A25F94A9-F540-4D0C-8CED-E7ABD5DC0634.jpeg
    A25F94A9-F540-4D0C-8CED-E7ABD5DC0634.jpeg
    41.6 KB · Views: 44
Thanks, Cheshire.

I’m now using a grain basket, so the malts are not in contact with the bottom of the boiler. It’s as though floury particles from the grain are dropping onto the element and scorching.

Thanks, Cheshire.

I’m now using a grain basket, so the malts are not in contact with the bottom of the boiler. It’s as though floury particles from the grain are dropping onto the element and scorching.

Why are you mashing so low. Are you recirculating the wort. I use the same boiler, normally I just use a single infusion mash. Then a mash out, I don't have the element on during the mash at all

Thanks Samale. I’ll probably revert to a single infusion mash.

I used to mash in at 58 and rest at 56 for 20 minutes before raising to the recipe mash temperature of 66/67.

For the last two brews, I’ve mashed in lower, with 10 min’s at 48, 20 min’s at 56 and 30 min’s at 66/67.

I guess that the additional heating is the problem.

That's a very fine crush which your bag may have held most of the flour due to a smaller micron mesh than that of your grain basket.Try placing your bag in your basket next timeand make sure the basket has at least a 3" clearance from the base.

I have the same boiler and haven't had cut outs so far. I do get a little bit of burnt on gunk at the end of the boil but not to the extent or colour in your first picture.

That's a very fine crush which your bag may have held most of the flour due to a smaller micron mesh than that of your grain basket.Try placing your bag in your basket next timeand make sure the basket has at least a 3" clearance from the base.

Back