Burtonising

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamC

Reaction score
Hi all. Would you recommend spending the time Burtonising with gypsum or can I just chuck in some Burton crystals at the boil? How much BC should be used if so?

AdamC
You need to do your water treatment before the mash.
I use 1 tsp Gypsom, ½ tsp Epsom and 1 Campden tablet per 5 gals of water.
As far as I can remember the dosing rate is on the container of Burton Water Crystals.

Adam,I wouldn't bother worrying about water treatment for your 1st brew.You will have enough to do as it is.Just make sure you treat with a cam tab the night before.
Get the feel of things for the time being, getting the basics right for now is more important.

Try to relax and enjoy yourself.Have a good one. :thumb:

llannige said:
Adam,I wouldn't bother worrying about water treatment for your 1st brew.You will have enough to do as it is.Just make sure you treat with a cam tab the night before.
Get the feel of things for the time being, getting the basics right for now is more important.

Try to relax and enjoy yourself.Have a good one. :thumb:

No need to treat the night before with a Campden tablet, you can do it on the day - the reaction happens very quickly.

I agree with the last two posts for your first brew just add 1/2 crushed campden tablet per 25 litres of brewing water :thumb:
This will be enough water treatment to enable you to brew the best beer you have ever tasted, trust me ;)
When you have got the hang of brewing from grain and you feel confident then it's time to start thinking about water treatment and efficiency and so on and so forth, for your first brew, just take the time to enjoy it :thumb:
You only loose your virginity once remember :lol:

Don't have any campden tablets as planned on burtonising. Burton crystals don't say on the packet how much to use. Shall I just use the water we've got r
add Burton crystals? If so, how much?

Sorry can't help re Burton crystals,never used them.Surprised they never came with any instructions.

As you have no cam tabs,it is usually best to boil the water the night before and leave.(did this once when I ran out of tabs and could not remember where I put the new lot :oops: )

Latest posts

Back