Buying grains in smaller quantities

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Goatreich

Landlord.
Reaction score
Yesterday I threw several bags of old grains on to the compost as they were a couple of years old and had likely gone stale. Most of the bags only had maybe 100g out of 1kg gone from them, as I'd only one brew using them.

I'd love to do another chocolate stout, but I don't want to again buy about 3 or 4 different types of dark malts in kilo bags, just to do one brew.

I know the real answer is just to brew more, and I'm working on getting back into the habit, but in the meantime does anyone know anywhere that sells malts by the 100g? It would be really helpful if The Malt Miller (my go to supplier, never done me wrong) sold these more speciality malts in much smaller quantities. Or perhaps is there anyone reasonably local to me (Newport, South Wales) that would be willing to sell from their stocks?

500g is the lowest i've seen, but there's no neccessity to use 4 types of malt in a single beer, people just do it...you can make a pretty good stout using simply pale and chocolate malts.

Stuff like wheat, rye malt, flaked barley/maize, roasted barley, crystal, caramunich can find their way into practically any beer style to improve the complexity. If you buy primarily dark malts, you're sort of limiting yourself to darker beers.

Firstly you could go to a local homebrew shop where they can make up your malt bill for you.

Secondly, you're only talking about £2 or something?! Surely it doesn't matter that much?!

K

A couple of years ago I got "slated" for offering this service. I keep a comprehensive stock of most malts, and use them as required. I offered a service of eg..100g of chocolate, 100g crystal etc etc etc. Don't ask for any money for the malts but a contribution for P+P would be appreciated.

kev said:
Firstly you could go to a local homebrew shop where they can make up your malt bill for you.

Secondly, you're only talking about £2 or something?! Surely it doesn't matter that much?!

K
I don't have a local homebrew shop that offers this service.

Yesterday I threw out about £25 worth of grains. My own fault, but until I start brewing enough to use up the grains I'd rather not have that many varieties in stock again.

johnnyboy1965 said:
A couple of years ago I got "slated" for offering this service. I keep a comprehensive stock of most malts, and use them as required. I offered a service of eg..100g of chocolate, 100g crystal etc etc etc. Don't ask for any money for the malts but a contribution for P+P would be appreciated.

I do remember that, and I remember the slating. I personally thought it was a good offer.

http://www.worcesterhopshop.co.uk offer 500g bags, but not as low as 100g, but they do offer packs for some brews
e.g. Guinness Extra Stout Style Recipe Kit @ £9.99
ale Malt (Maris Otter) (grams) 3140
Flaked Barley (grams) 895
Roasted Barley (grams) 445
Target Hops (grams) 32
1 pack of Nottingham Ale yeast.

So you only get the correct amount. But it is more expensive then buying a sack of malt.

You could ASK Rob, I remember asking him for a very small amount of one type (~40g if I remember) and he offered it no problems.

As I said in my OP years ago...I don't want to try and undercut suppliers, but if you only want...lets say 20g of Chocolate Malt, why do you have to buy the minimum 100g..I know its only pennies, and it is only pennies. I still leave my offer open. If Ive got it then you can have it, just donate a few pennies in the next charity box.

If you email Rob your recipe he'll mill it into one big bag for you... Or rather, he'll tell you how to do it through the website. No wastage, but you don't get the economy of scale of the 25kg bag of pale...

It's not the 25kg bag of pale malt that's the problem, but all the different crystal, cara this and that. I have a nice collection of half used bags although I don't see why they won't still be usable after a year or two. I did just brew an India Black Ale as I still have a lot of chocolate malt.

It is worth freezing you bags of malt the last for ages in the freezer also use zip lock bags with the air squashed out. :thumb:

SWMBO complains about the bags of hops in the freezer so I think larger bags of malt might be pushing my luck. I always make sure the bags are properly sealed with a clip. As I said, I think they store well. I notice that the uncrushed Crisp Maris Otter has a best before date of 2 years and then the Malt Miller puts a 1 year date on the crushed grain.

graysalchemy said:
It is worth freezing you bags of malt the last for ages in the freezer also use zip lock bags with the air squashed out. :thumb:

I asked my Chemist friend about this she says that strange this happen to starches and sugars when frozen, she then went on to explain he "strands/molicules " etc, at which point I got bored and stopped listening to what she was saying. I asked here the best way to store malts and she said "sealed container, in a cool, dark place"

My Opinion Only......A beer is not a beer unless you use at least one out of date ingredient :cheers:

The grains you talk of throwing out are used in such small quantities that i cannot see the issue in using old grains. Even in a meagre 3kg grist with for example 100g of chocolate malt it only works out at 3.33% of the grist will it really make such a negative difference to the beers 96+% of other ingredients?

Hop & Grape do any quantity under 250g for a 20p surcharge, and have a large range of malts :thumb:

Also Rob will make you up a bag with your recipe quantities

Latest posts

Back