Where to buy grain accurately weighed.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody had suggestions for a place to buy grain that has been accurately weighed.

My first AG order was over weight by almost half a kilo. I couldn’t take some out because it’s six grains mixed in the same bag. Apparently too much trouble to either weigh them properly or supply in separate bags for the client to weigh. Nice people, but not overly impressed with the service.

Yes, I know is just makes the beer stronger, and I should be grateful, but does anybody know of a supplier that will actually supply the required weights?

If you’re buying a custom grain kit, it’s only meant for one brew so they mix the grains. If you want grains for different brews you’ll need to do multiple kits.

Malt Miller do sell exact grain amounts but the do charge a bagging fee for small amounts.

For what it's worth, I get mine from Malt Miller - they have a really good selection. @MickDundee is right they do have a begging fee for small amounts - but it seems reasonable to me and I'd rather pay that than have a few hundred grammes of this and that left over. There's always the delivery fee too of course (£6 flat fee) but it's DPD and it comes really fast. Personally I tend to order enough for three brews at once so that the delivery is worth it.

Given the amount of effort that goes into the rest of the process, I never mind paying a bit more for good malt and hops :-)

I buy 25Kg sacks of base malt from a local brewery. Lesser used malts I order from Geterbrewed in either 1Kg or 3 Kg quantities and have a number of food grade sealable buckets I store them in. Always have enough in stock then to make most brews.

For what it's worth, I get mine from Malt Miller - they have a really good selection. @MickDundee is right they do have a begging fee for small amounts - but it seems reasonable to me and I'd rather pay that than have a few hundred grammes of this and that left over. There's always the delivery fee too of course (£6 flat fee) but it's DPD and it comes really fast. Personally I tend to order enough for three brews at once so that the delivery is worth it.

Given the amount of effort that goes into the rest of the process, I never mind paying a bit more for good malt and hops :-)
I do the same👍🏼 I brew every 2 weeks so I usually order 6 batches which usually gets me the free delivery over £100 with malt miller. DPD👌🏻

I was wondering if anybody had suggestions for a place to buy grain that has been accurately weighed.

My first AG order was over weight by almost half a kilo. I couldn’t take some out because it’s six grains mixed in the same bag. Apparently too much trouble to either weigh them properly or supply in separate bags for the client to weigh. Nice people, but not overly impressed with the service.

Yes, I know is just makes the beer stronger, and I should be grateful, but does anybody know of a supplier that will actually supply the required weights?
Who is giving away grain? I need to order from them.

I always buy 25kg sacks of base malt and samller bags of specialty grains. When weighing out for a brewday, I don't tend to worry if its slightly over, but psycologically don't want it to be even slightly under.

I suspect that is what MM have done, especially if they come to the end of a sack, with 100g left in it here and there.

I also discovered recently that my old scales were underestimating the weight by about 10%.

Well I’m new to all this and I just thought if I want to look back and do a brew agin, I had better do it exactly the same. Otherwise, it just won’t be the same. Not to mention the efficiency calculation.

Just a thought. Did you weigh it loose or in the packaging it came in? While it won't account for 500g it will add some weight.

As said I suppose the answer is to weigh your own. Although I wouldn't get worried about a few hundred grammes of malt...just chuck a bit of sugar in if it's ever short,you won't tell the difference. I like to hit the numbers but I'm not bothered if I don't as long as I've a good guess at where they've gone.
I use MM and find them spot on for pre weighed stuff.

I think you need to check and a calibrate your scales. It's unlikely anyone would give away half a kilo of grain (even on a 25kg sack). If you're weighing grain, you're weighing grain and it's not really any more trouble to weigh accurately.

If you've spoken to your supplier and that's the answer they've given you, it may be worth asking to speak to the manager or owner as it may be they have an employee who can't be bothered to do their job properly.

I think you need to check and a calibrate your scales. It's unlikely anyone would give away half a kilo of grain (even on a 25kg sack). If you're weighing grain, you're weighing grain and it's not really any more trouble to weigh accurately.

If you've spoken to your supplier and that's the answer they've given you, it may be worth asking to speak to the manager or owner as it may be they have an employee who can't be bothered to do their job properly.

We all have off days let's not get someone the sack over a bit of extra grain. Maybe they forgot to tare the scales when weighing it up etc etc.

We all have off days let's not get someone the sack over a bit of extra grain. Maybe they forgot to tare the scales when weighing it up etc etc.
Actually, that's very true. Though from what the OP said, I half-though he had contacted the seller and been told it was too much trouble to weigh accurately

Save the excess until you have enough to brew another batch and call it a mishmash beer.
There's a shop online that collects all the mistakes in weighing grain and sells it at a discount so while there's no way to predict what style you will get beer.

Back